Feb 28, 2014, 7:05 PM EDT
Mariners starter Hisashi Iwakuma won’t throw for another three weeks due to a strained tendon in his middle finger, reports Bob Dutton of the Tacoma News Tribune. Iwakuma was expected to miss four to six weeks and rejoin the rotation in mid-to-late April.
The news comes on the same day the Mariners shut down Taijuan Walker due to shoulder inflammation. Suddenly, the Mariners’ rotation isn’t looking so good beyond Felix Hernandez. The Mariners have repeatedly been linked to free agent starter Ervin Santana, so it will be interesting to see if they bite the bullet as a result of the injury bug.
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 13
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 217
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 3
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 140
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 40
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (229)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (140)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)