Report: Harold Reynolds, Tom Verducci to join Joe Buck for World Series booth at Fox

Feb 28, 2014, 12:04 AM EDT

Joe Buck

Tim McCarver’s departure from the broadcast booth at Fox was largely celebrated by fans even though we didn’t know who his replacement would be. As they say, be careful what you wish for.

Jason McIntyre of the Big Lead has the big scoop:

Fox Sports executives and baseball broadcasters huddled at the posh, isolated Terranea Resort in Rancho Palos Verdes in Southern California this week in preparation for the upcoming season.

It was here that Fox quietly decided to unveil its new “A-Team” that will call the World Series this Fall: Harold Reynolds and Tom Verducci will join Joe Buck in the booth, two sources tell The Big Lead. From 1996 to 2013, Buck had been paired with Tim McCarver.

When reached for comment this evening, a Fox spokesman had no comment.

Reynolds, sources say, was offered the role earlier this month, and accepted.

The hiring of Reynolds has been seen as inevitable in some circles, as he was mentioned as frontrunner for the gig in reports from Richard Deitsch of SI.com and Chad Finn of the Boston Globe as far back as last fall. Still, he’s not the fresh new voice many fans have clamored for. Verducci could help balance out what Reynolds lacks from an analysis perspective, but a three-man booth can get a bit crowded when sometimes fans just want the game to breathe in important moments instead of having everyone tell you why something is really important. Sigh. Here’s hoping they find the right balance.

No word on if Reynolds and Verducci will work with Buck at all during the regular season or strictly during the postseason, but there should be an announcement on the situation soon.

1. Rob Hoffmann - Feb 28, 2014 at 8:27 AM

OK, who wants to start the Bring Back Tim McCarver campaign?

I mean, when this becomes official, you know it’s going to happen, so why not jump on the bandwagon early?

2. chargrz - Feb 28, 2014 at 8:28 AM

Reynolds just makes me turn off the sound and listen to music. No thanks.

• hep3 - Feb 28, 2014 at 8:34 AM

AMEN!

• jerze2387 - Mar 1, 2014 at 10:46 AM

actually, its Joe Buck who causes me to do that. I literally will not watch a game wheer that ill informed pompus a$$ clown does the commentating. And when the NFl throws in Troy “co-sign” Aikman, its doubled.

3. scoutsaysweitersisabust - Feb 28, 2014 at 8:45 AM

Fix just went from worst to worster.

4. roadryder - Feb 28, 2014 at 8:52 AM

Reynolds and Verducci are dogs with different fleas. Reynolds is just a flat out, closed-minded idiot. Verducci, while he realizes the value of advanced metrics, has a bad habit of thinking that he knows how to invent and apply them (the widely trumpeted and completely debunked Verducci Effect for example). I’ll continue to turn the sound off on FOX broadcasts so nothing will really change.

5. echech88 - Feb 28, 2014 at 9:22 AM

Wow no thank you. Reynolds is the face of everything wrong with MLB Network

• adventuresinfresno - Feb 28, 2014 at 2:10 PM

Nah, that’s Mitch Williams and Eric Byrnes.

6. willclarkgameface - Feb 28, 2014 at 9:29 AM

This is obviously getting a mixed reaction from the crowd. With all of the complaining going on, ask yourself this: who DO you want in that booth?

In 2014 I think MOST of the guys doing play by play are pretty awful. You want Don Orsillo? Hawk Harrelson? How about the blow hards that do TBS games?

The ONLY one I’d want in there and he won’t do it anymore because he’s so old is Vin. Harold will be fine and Joe may actually be less lame than normal with these other two guys in the booth. It’s Verducci that I worry about. At least he’s not the bow tie freak.

• adventuresinfresno - Feb 28, 2014 at 2:11 PM

Ken Rosenthal is a treasure.

• kappy32 - Feb 28, 2014 at 2:49 PM

Better yet, they could have Ron Darling who sounds like he has a box of rocks in his mouth. I’m a big Mets fan & I am forced to listen to Darling every game & I hate it. With that being said, SNY has an absolute gem that hasn’t been given a national chance yet & that is Keith Hernandez. Keith is funny & knows his stuff. Keith was one of the best hitters in baseball during the mid-70’s thru the mid-80’s & you learn a lot listening to him. He talks about preparing for pitchers, situational hitting, and the importance of solid fielding. He is also good at identifying talent;. Most importantly, he adds humor to a game that can get boring at times. He also doesn’t hold back & gives it to players for dogging it or underperforming, while praising players for doing well. Keith, in my biased opinion, is one of the best analysts in baseball today & I would love to see him get a chance to shine on the national stage one year in the playoffs, people will love him.

7. Francisco (FC) - Feb 28, 2014 at 9:37 AM

Just have Vin Scully call the World Series Dagnabbit!!!!

• adventuresinfresno - Feb 28, 2014 at 2:11 PM

This is so obvious its almost comedic.

8. Bob - Feb 28, 2014 at 10:07 AM

What does Harold Reynolds have on network executives? Do they actually listen to him on studio shows and during games? He’s terrible.

9. phillysports1 - Feb 28, 2014 at 10:12 AM

I fall asleep listening to Scully lol

10. eshine76 - Feb 28, 2014 at 11:18 AM

I like Harold. How many of you have heard him in the booth, as opposed to the studio? He’s not perfect, but he’s good.

• jerze2387 - Mar 1, 2014 at 10:48 AM

I agree. i actually enjoy him in the studio also. WhenBaseball Tonight got rid of him, it was downhill from there.

11. racefanbill - Feb 28, 2014 at 11:41 AM

After getting railroaded at ESPN, I’m glad to see Reynolds get this job.

12. eagles512 - Feb 28, 2014 at 12:41 PM

Verducci is the one I have a problem with.

13. yournuts - Feb 28, 2014 at 12:57 PM

Not Joe Buck! Ugh, he is the worst. Get rid of Joe Buck, PLEASE.

• jerze2387 - Mar 1, 2014 at 10:51 AM

Ive been asking for that for years. Since before he s#!t his pants at the Randy moss fake mooning even. its amazing that a guy could grow up with a father who did sports broadacsting, yet still be so ill informed on facts and such as he is, in not only 1 but 2 sports. Talk about riding the family name to a career. If his name wasnt Joe buck, do any of us actually think he’d have a job in broadcasting?

14. kappy32 - Feb 28, 2014 at 2:43 PM

I’m glad Harold Reynolds is getting another shot. I thought he was phenomenal with ESPN on Baseball Tonight & game-calling before they fired him for doing what everyone else did back then in Bristol. He may not have been a very good player, but his insight & analysis was spot-on more times than it wasn’t. I think he will shine with Joe Buck & Fox.

15. mgflolox - Feb 28, 2014 at 3:23 PM

Does anybody besides me think that Reynolds sounds a little bit like Chris Rock?

16. stlouis1baseball - Feb 28, 2014 at 3:29 PM

I like Harold Reynolds and I like Tom Verducci. I also like (er…can stomach) Joe Buck.
    I am not afraid to admit it. Of course, I have never been much of a follower.
    Hence me being the 1st dude in my High School to wear red reeboks.
    So you all can suck it! And I mean that with love.

• Matthew Acton - Feb 28, 2014 at 3:35 PM

Finally, a voice of reason. The only thing I have against Buck is his lack of interest and his willingness to take every chance to talk football during a baseball game.

• stlouis1baseball - Feb 28, 2014 at 4:12 PM

I hear you Matthew. You are gonna’ find that a lot of people on HBT seem to follow the crowd. Almost as if they don’t have opinions that are truly their own opinions.
        Just a head nod or affirmation of someone else’s opinion.
        All in all…good people. But what do I know? I am just a simpleton.

17. Matthew Acton - Feb 28, 2014 at 3:33 PM

I actually think these two are a significant improvement. I have a problem with Joe Buck simply because he doesn’t care about midseason baseball, and he’s all too eager to talk football once he gets the chance (nothing against those who like football but we’re watching baseball!).

Reynolds has his flaws, of course. Everyone does, and so does Verducci. For one, he’s not a broadcaster. He’s a writer, but that also works in his favor sometimes for me.

As for Reynolds’s flaws, I think they’re just the fact that he does tend to be a knee-jerk traditionalist. But, I think he’s a smart guy underneath and willing to open his mind, and I think his willingness to debate his opinions on MLB Network on a show dedicated to that is evidence of that.

However, I do agree that whoever is in the booth, three people makes for a crowded booth. I would hope that Verducci would be relatively quiet, though, and then it might work. Don’t forget ABC did it in the ’70s and ’80s for the postseason, and they’re classic broadcasts now. NBC did it occasionally, too, and a lot of people love those old broadcasts.

Give them a chance in the World Series, and count on there only being two in the booth during the regular season.

18. lanflfan - Feb 28, 2014 at 4:28 PM

That is at least two people too many in that booth.

• jerze2387 - Mar 1, 2014 at 10:53 AM

then kick out joe Buck and his Ego, and youre down 2

• gloccamorra - Mar 1, 2014 at 3:17 PM

You can’t have three stooges without Moe, Larry, and Curly.

19. chilguy - Feb 28, 2014 at 6:05 PM

Actually. I’m not even all that impressed with Joe Buck, much less the other two.

As annoying as Tim McCarver could be at times, he pulled Buck’s feet out of the fire on more than one occasion over the years because he played the game and has the knowledge and a genuine passion for it that you just don’t sense from Buck. I find it somewhat interesting that he’s not completely retiring — he’s going to work about 30 Cardinals’ TV games this season — which makes one wonder whether his departure was as voluntary as it seems.

It just seems to me that Buck is better at calling football than baseball (I did sports play-by-play for a couple of years early in a 26-year journalism career, before settling on the writing side, and it’s not easy to do well at calling both baseball and football), but he’s still the best that Fox has to work with.

While it doesn’t do anything to solve this year’s problems, and I agree with most people’s assessment of Verducci and Reynolds, one thing to pay attention to are the people that Fox is using in the pregame shows during the Series. Some of them are players who are on downswing of their careers, and with training and patience, one of them might be ready to step in down the road.

20. vicvinegar00 - Feb 28, 2014 at 8:05 PM

I’ll just continue to put it on mute.

Who anointed guys like Buck or Jim Nantz as the broadcasters people want to hear? Would there be any sort of outcry if Joe Buck was fired tomorrow? Does Jim Nantz have “fans”?

• jerze2387 - Mar 1, 2014 at 10:55 AM

I believe the outcry if joe buck were fired would be something like this..

“HORRAY!!!”

21. stercuilus65 - Feb 28, 2014 at 9:27 PM

With Buck up there they are sure to have a gay ol time!

22. drs76109 - Mar 1, 2014 at 1:47 AM

Minimalism pays. Which is why the buck shouldnt stop with Joe. He ain’t his Dad.

23. gloccamorra - Mar 1, 2014 at 3:16 PM

They missed a chance to dump all the non players and put three ex-jocks together for the first time. All you need is one to get the names right, one to comment, and a third to instigate against the other two. We can read all the pertinent information in the on-screen box anyway.

All the trade deadline news to know