Feb 28, 2014, 12:04 AM EDT
Tim McCarver’s departure from the broadcast booth at Fox was largely celebrated by fans even though we didn’t know who his replacement would be. As they say, be careful what you wish for.
Jason McIntyre of the Big Lead has the big scoop:
Fox Sports executives and baseball broadcasters huddled at the posh, isolated Terranea Resort in Rancho Palos Verdes in Southern California this week in preparation for the upcoming season.
It was here that Fox quietly decided to unveil its new “A-Team” that will call the World Series this Fall: Harold Reynolds and Tom Verducci will join Joe Buck in the booth, two sources tell The Big Lead. From 1996 to 2013, Buck had been paired with Tim McCarver.
When reached for comment this evening, a Fox spokesman had no comment.
Reynolds, sources say, was offered the role earlier this month, and accepted.
The hiring of Reynolds has been seen as inevitable in some circles, as he was mentioned as frontrunner for the gig in reports from Richard Deitsch of SI.com and Chad Finn of the Boston Globe as far back as last fall. Still, he’s not the fresh new voice many fans have clamored for. Verducci could help balance out what Reynolds lacks from an analysis perspective, but a three-man booth can get a bit crowded when sometimes fans just want the game to breathe in important moments instead of having everyone tell you why something is really important. Sigh. Here’s hoping they find the right balance.
No word on if Reynolds and Verducci will work with Buck at all during the regular season or strictly during the postseason, but there should be an announcement on the situation soon.
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 1
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 40
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 74
- Who really owns a home run ball? 63
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 128
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week 122
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (130)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (128)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)