Mar 1, 2014, 10:40 AM EDT
Martin left Thursday’s exhibition opener against the Blue Jays due to shoulder soreness. He faced just four batters and was reportedly hitting around 85 mph on his fastball.
The Phillies are already expected to be without Cole Hamels and Jonathan Pettibone at the start of the regular season, so that leaves Cliff Lee, A.J. Burnett, Kyle Kendrick, and Roberto Hernandez as the only sure things for the starting rotation. It would certainly help if Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez begins to show why the Phillies gave him a three-year, $12 million contract, but he’s a huge mystery at the moment.
Martin, 24, was acquired from the Dodgers in 2012 as part of the Shane Victorino trade. He posted a 6.08 ERA and 47/26 K/BB ratio in 40 innings last year between the rotation and the bullpen.
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 0
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 55
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 82
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 80
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (242)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)