Mar 1, 2014, 9:20 AM EDT
TAMPA — I’m at Steinbrenner Field for the Masahiro Tanaka debut today. As I was waiting for his arrival to the Yankees’ clubhouse this morning, another player of note walked in. No one walked over to his locker so I figured I would.
Me: Derek, do you have a second?
Me: What’s it like having a day here where you aren’t the guy everyone is here to see?
Jeter: I’m never that guy. He is [Jeter points to Brian Roberts, two lockers down. Roberts guffaws]
Jeter: What’s going on today?
Me: Well, Tanaka is pitching.
Jeter: Is he? Didn’t even know that. [Jeter is grinning now]
Jeter: Well, come back later and I’ll let you know what that’s like.
All that was missing was him waving his hand, telling me that these are not the droids I’m looking for and telling me to move along.
He’s so damn smooth.
- Rays play Saturday’s game against the Blue Jays under protest 0
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 10
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 5
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 33
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 242
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 96
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (242)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (86)