Mar 1, 2014, 9:55 PM EDT
Earlier today, D.J. Short told you about the reported interest between the Red Sox and starter Jon Lester in signing a multi-year contract extension. “Just how interested?” you ask. Two conversations interested, according to Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe.
That’s a great deal of interest. As D.J. wrote, the extension could be in the $100 million range over five years. Considering the six-year, $105 million deal Homer Bailey signed with the Reds recently, that seems about right. Aside from atypical struggles in 2012, Lester has been dependable for the Red Sox. He finished the 2013 season with a 3.75 ERA in 213 1/3 innings.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 52
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 89
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (102)