Mar 1, 2014, 9:55 PM EDT
Earlier today, D.J. Short told you about the reported interest between the Red Sox and starter Jon Lester in signing a multi-year contract extension. “Just how interested?” you ask. Two conversations interested, according to Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe.
That’s a great deal of interest. As D.J. wrote, the extension could be in the $100 million range over five years. Considering the six-year, $105 million deal Homer Bailey signed with the Reds recently, that seems about right. Aside from atypical struggles in 2012, Lester has been dependable for the Red Sox. He finished the 2013 season with a 3.75 ERA in 213 1/3 innings.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 2
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 61
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 62
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 27
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade (78)