Mar 1, 2014, 9:55 PM EDT
Earlier today, D.J. Short told you about the reported interest between the Red Sox and starter Jon Lester in signing a multi-year contract extension. “Just how interested?” you ask. Two conversations interested, according to Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe.
That’s a great deal of interest. As D.J. wrote, the extension could be in the $100 million range over five years. Considering the six-year, $105 million deal Homer Bailey signed with the Reds recently, that seems about right. Aside from atypical struggles in 2012, Lester has been dependable for the Red Sox. He finished the 2013 season with a 3.75 ERA in 213 1/3 innings.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 64
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 67
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)