Mar 1, 2014, 9:55 PM EDT
Earlier today, D.J. Short told you about the reported interest between the Red Sox and starter Jon Lester in signing a multi-year contract extension. “Just how interested?” you ask. Two conversations interested, according to Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe.
That’s a great deal of interest. As D.J. wrote, the extension could be in the $100 million range over five years. Considering the six-year, $105 million deal Homer Bailey signed with the Reds recently, that seems about right. Aside from atypical struggles in 2012, Lester has been dependable for the Red Sox. He finished the 2013 season with a 3.75 ERA in 213 1/3 innings.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 37
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 42
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- The Lester trade is a win-win 113
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (200)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (128)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)