Mar 1, 2014, 10:20 PM EDT
Jesse Sanchez of MLB.com is reporting that the Braves have signed Cuban catcher Yenier Bello to a minor league deal. Sanchez adds that the deal includes a signing bonus and an invitation to spring training.
Sanchez describes Bello’s interesting path to professional baseball in the U.S. He was caught attempting to escape Cuba in 2012 and had his passport revoked as a result. He retired, eventually earned his passport back, and went to Ecuador. From there, Bello went to Mexico, where he established residency.
- Rangers snap Astros’ 10-game winning streak 0
- UPDATE: Hanley Ramirez exits game with a left shoulder sprain 15
- Nelson Cruz, Adrian Gonzalez named Players of the Month 13
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 94
- Report: Brewers hire Craig Counsell to replace Ron Roenicke 26
- Brewers fire manager Ron Roenicke 55
- Jordan Walden lands on disabled list with biceps injury 11
- Rays place outfielder Desmond Jennings on 15-day disabled list with bursitis in his left knee 1
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (140)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)
- Buck Showalter had some wise words about what’s happening in Baltimore (123)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (120)
- Some anti-DH counterpoints (102)