Mar 1, 2014, 10:20 PM EDT
Jesse Sanchez of MLB.com is reporting that the Braves have signed Cuban catcher Yenier Bello to a minor league deal. Sanchez adds that the deal includes a signing bonus and an invitation to spring training.
Sanchez describes Bello’s interesting path to professional baseball in the U.S. He was caught attempting to escape Cuba in 2012 and had his passport revoked as a result. He retired, eventually earned his passport back, and went to Ecuador. From there, Bello went to Mexico, where he established residency.
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 9
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 141
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 19
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 34
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 33
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 30
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (143)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)