Mar 1, 2014, 10:20 PM EDT
Jesse Sanchez of MLB.com is reporting that the Braves have signed Cuban catcher Yenier Bello to a minor league deal. Sanchez adds that the deal includes a signing bonus and an invitation to spring training.
Sanchez describes Bello’s interesting path to professional baseball in the U.S. He was caught attempting to escape Cuba in 2012 and had his passport revoked as a result. He retired, eventually earned his passport back, and went to Ecuador. From there, Bello went to Mexico, where he established residency.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 37
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 41
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- The Lester trade is a win-win 113
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (200)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (126)