Mar 1, 2014, 7:30 PM EST
Everyone expects spring training games to be messy, especially early. Players are just getting back into the swing of things. Some younger guys have the pressure of playing with the big boys for the first time, or are competing for a roster spot; older guys are doing everything they can to keep their careers alive. You can see a lot of crazy things in spring training.
Saturday afternoon’s affair between the Braves and Nationals brought messy to a whole new level. The game featured seven multi-run innings, including four of four runs or more. Six errors were committed, five by the Nationals. 15 pitchers were used.
The fifth inning in particular stood out because of everything that happened. MASN’s Dan Kolko captured it all in one picture, which he posted to Twitter:
This is one half-inning. Gross. pic.twitter.com/UejDKvtAWz
— Dan Kolko (@masnKolko) March 1, 2014
First of all, the Nationals substitutions at all eight non-pitcher positions, which really cluttered up the page. Then Freddie Freeman reached on a fielding error. Later, when Matt Lipka singled to right, Michael Taylor both missed the ball and made a throwing error, leading to the Braves’ third and fourth runs of the inning. The Nationals replaced pitcher Blake Treinen with Josh Roenicke. The Braves pinch-hit four times and finished the fifth inning with nine runs on ten hits, including eight singles.
Shockingly enough, the nine-spot wasn’t enough as the Braves lost 16-15. The Braves logged 25 hits. Spring training, everyone.
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 21
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 51
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 40
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (131)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)