Mar 1, 2014, 8:50 AM EDT
Rough news for the Twins and their fans this morning, as Phil Miller of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune reports that prospect infielder Miguel Sano will undergo Tommy John reconstructive surgery on his right elbow.
Sano dealt with elbow problems during winter ball and felt continued pain earlier this week while making a throw from third base. An MRI confirmed the torn elbow ligament. Sano turns 21 in May and was likely on track to make his major league debut later this year, but surgery will push that timetable back to 2015. The good news is that he’s still very young and the surgery has a high success rate.
Arguably the top power hitting prospect in the game, Sano slugged 35 home runs last season between High-A Fort Myers and Double-A New Britain. Baseball America recently ranked him as the No. 6 prospect in the sport.
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 6
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 16
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)