Mar 1, 2014, 8:50 AM EDT
Rough news for the Twins and their fans this morning, as Phil Miller of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune reports that prospect infielder Miguel Sano will undergo Tommy John reconstructive surgery on his right elbow.
Sano dealt with elbow problems during winter ball and felt continued pain earlier this week while making a throw from third base. An MRI confirmed the torn elbow ligament. Sano turns 21 in May and was likely on track to make his major league debut later this year, but surgery will push that timetable back to 2015. The good news is that he’s still very young and the surgery has a high success rate.
Arguably the top power hitting prospect in the game, Sano slugged 35 home runs last season between High-A Fort Myers and Double-A New Britain. Baseball America recently ranked him as the No. 6 prospect in the sport.
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 0
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 8
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 30
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 21
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)