Mar 1, 2014, 8:50 AM EDT
Rough news for the Twins and their fans this morning, as Phil Miller of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune reports that prospect infielder Miguel Sano will undergo Tommy John reconstructive surgery on his right elbow.
Sano dealt with elbow problems during winter ball and felt continued pain earlier this week while making a throw from third base. An MRI confirmed the torn elbow ligament. Sano turns 21 in May and was likely on track to make his major league debut later this year, but surgery will push that timetable back to 2015. The good news is that he’s still very young and the surgery has a high success rate.
Arguably the top power hitting prospect in the game, Sano slugged 35 home runs last season between High-A Fort Myers and Double-A New Britain. Baseball America recently ranked him as the No. 6 prospect in the sport.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 32
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 43
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 37
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 36
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 84
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 8
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 89
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 36
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (190)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (104)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (92)