Mar 1, 2014, 8:50 AM EST
Rough news for the Twins and their fans this morning, as Phil Miller of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune reports that prospect infielder Miguel Sano will undergo Tommy John reconstructive surgery on his right elbow.
Sano dealt with elbow problems during winter ball and felt continued pain earlier this week while making a throw from third base. An MRI confirmed the torn elbow ligament. Sano turns 21 in May and was likely on track to make his major league debut later this year, but surgery will push that timetable back to 2015. The good news is that he’s still very young and the surgery has a high success rate.
Arguably the top power hitting prospect in the game, Sano slugged 35 home runs last season between High-A Fort Myers and Double-A New Britain. Baseball America recently ranked him as the No. 6 prospect in the sport.
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 290
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (290)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)