Mar 1, 2014, 8:50 AM EDT
Rough news for the Twins and their fans this morning, as Phil Miller of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune reports that prospect infielder Miguel Sano will undergo Tommy John reconstructive surgery on his right elbow.
Sano dealt with elbow problems during winter ball and felt continued pain earlier this week while making a throw from third base. An MRI confirmed the torn elbow ligament. Sano turns 21 in May and was likely on track to make his major league debut later this year, but surgery will push that timetable back to 2015. The good news is that he’s still very young and the surgery has a high success rate.
Arguably the top power hitting prospect in the game, Sano slugged 35 home runs last season between High-A Fort Myers and Double-A New Britain. Baseball America recently ranked him as the No. 6 prospect in the sport.
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 17
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 25
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 103
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 15
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8