Mar 2, 2014, 3:18 PM EST
Phillies third baseman Cody Asche was hit in the right hand with a fastball from Pirates pitcher Yao-Hsun Yang in the bottom of the fifth inning this afternoon. Matt Gelb of the Philadelphia Inquirer described the uncomfortable sound as “that of a ball hitting helmet”. Asche was taken out of the game under his own power and replaced by prospect Maikel Franco. He will undergo evaluations and we should hear the results tomorrow, if not later today.
[Update: Preliminary results on Asche’s ultrasound came up negative, per MLB.com’s Todd Zolecki.]
Although Franco is a third baseman and the Phillies’ best prospect according to most, the Phillies can’t be happy with what they saw. Franco is still rough around the edges and would benefit from starting the season with Triple-A Lehigh Valley. Asche is no superstar, but is a dependable stopgap who provided decent production at the hot corner last season.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (129)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)