Mar 2, 2014, 4:52 PM EST
Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe reports that Red Sox starter Jake Peavy cut his left index finger with a fishing knife. As a result, he’ll be idle three days and won’t pitch tomorrow as previously scheduled. Brandon Workman will take his place.
Peavy dealt with a finger problem on his other hand — tendonitis in his right ring finger — a few weeks ago. Thankfully, neither injury was season-threatening, so Peavy should be good to go soon and will contribute out of the back end of the Red Sox rotation throughout the 2014 season. The right-hander posted a 4.04 ERA in 64 2/3 innings after coming to Boston from the White Sox in a three-team trade last July.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 87
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 35
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 5
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 3
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 363
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (363)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (93)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)