Mar 2, 2014, 4:52 PM EDT
Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe reports that Red Sox starter Jake Peavy cut his left index finger with a fishing knife. As a result, he’ll be idle three days and won’t pitch tomorrow as previously scheduled. Brandon Workman will take his place.
Peavy dealt with a finger problem on his other hand — tendonitis in his right ring finger — a few weeks ago. Thankfully, neither injury was season-threatening, so Peavy should be good to go soon and will contribute out of the back end of the Red Sox rotation throughout the 2014 season. The right-hander posted a 4.04 ERA in 64 2/3 innings after coming to Boston from the White Sox in a three-team trade last July.
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 4
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 14
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 56
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 26
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)