Mar 2, 2014, 4:52 PM EST
Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe reports that Red Sox starter Jake Peavy cut his left index finger with a fishing knife. As a result, he’ll be idle three days and won’t pitch tomorrow as previously scheduled. Brandon Workman will take his place.
Peavy dealt with a finger problem on his other hand — tendonitis in his right ring finger — a few weeks ago. Thankfully, neither injury was season-threatening, so Peavy should be good to go soon and will contribute out of the back end of the Red Sox rotation throughout the 2014 season. The right-hander posted a 4.04 ERA in 64 2/3 innings after coming to Boston from the White Sox in a three-team trade last July.
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 0
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 54
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27