Mar 2, 2014, 4:52 PM EST
Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe reports that Red Sox starter Jake Peavy cut his left index finger with a fishing knife. As a result, he’ll be idle three days and won’t pitch tomorrow as previously scheduled. Brandon Workman will take his place.
Peavy dealt with a finger problem on his other hand — tendonitis in his right ring finger — a few weeks ago. Thankfully, neither injury was season-threatening, so Peavy should be good to go soon and will contribute out of the back end of the Red Sox rotation throughout the 2014 season. The right-hander posted a 4.04 ERA in 64 2/3 innings after coming to Boston from the White Sox in a three-team trade last July.
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 21
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 48
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 35
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)