Mar 2, 2014, 4:52 PM EDT
Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe reports that Red Sox starter Jake Peavy cut his left index finger with a fishing knife. As a result, he’ll be idle three days and won’t pitch tomorrow as previously scheduled. Brandon Workman will take his place.
Peavy dealt with a finger problem on his other hand — tendonitis in his right ring finger — a few weeks ago. Thankfully, neither injury was season-threatening, so Peavy should be good to go soon and will contribute out of the back end of the Red Sox rotation throughout the 2014 season. The right-hander posted a 4.04 ERA in 64 2/3 innings after coming to Boston from the White Sox in a three-team trade last July.
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 1
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 4
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 11
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 47
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 28
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)