Mar 2, 2014, 11:05 AM EDT
Clark Spencer of the Miami Herald is reporting that Marlins right-hander Jose Fernandez has been named the team’s Opening Day starter by manager Mike Redmond, an announcement that shocks no one. The Marlins open up the regular season on March 31 at home against the Rockies.
Fernandez took home NL Rookie of the Year honors and finished third in NL Cy Young balloting last season after posting a 2.19 ERA in 172 2/3 innings. The 21-year-old Cuban should be the ace of the Marlins’ staff for many more years to come.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 23
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 35
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 31
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 41
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)