Mar 2, 2014, 11:05 AM EDT
Clark Spencer of the Miami Herald is reporting that Marlins right-hander Jose Fernandez has been named the team’s Opening Day starter by manager Mike Redmond, an announcement that shocks no one. The Marlins open up the regular season on March 31 at home against the Rockies.
Fernandez took home NL Rookie of the Year honors and finished third in NL Cy Young balloting last season after posting a 2.19 ERA in 172 2/3 innings. The 21-year-old Cuban should be the ace of the Marlins’ staff for many more years to come.
- Orioles acquire Kelly Johnson from the Red Sox 5
- Orioles acquire Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox 5
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 30
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 47
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 20
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 18
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 37
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 32
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)