Mar 2, 2014, 11:05 AM EDT
Clark Spencer of the Miami Herald is reporting that Marlins right-hander Jose Fernandez has been named the team’s Opening Day starter by manager Mike Redmond, an announcement that shocks no one. The Marlins open up the regular season on March 31 at home against the Rockies.
Fernandez took home NL Rookie of the Year honors and finished third in NL Cy Young balloting last season after posting a 2.19 ERA in 172 2/3 innings. The 21-year-old Cuban should be the ace of the Marlins’ staff for many more years to come.
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 73
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 62
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 66
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 72
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 32
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 24
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)