Mark Teixeira and Michael Pineda will make spring training debuts later this week

Mar 2, 2014, 9:45 AM EDT

Mark Teixeira AP

MLB.com’s Bryan Hoch is reporting that Yankees first baseman Mark Teixeira will make his Grapefruit League debut on Thursday or Friday this week. Teixeira, who turns 34 shortly after the regular season begins, is optimistic about the health of his surgically repaired wrist, though he did say recently that he expects it to be stiff throughout the year. He played in only 15 games last season.

Hoch adds that Michael Pineda will make his spring training debut on Friday. The Yankees’ big return in the Jesus Montero trade with the Mariners, Pineda has missed the entirety of the last two seasons due to labrum surgery in his right shoulder. In his only season in the big leagues back in 2011, he impressed with a 3.74 ERA over 28 starts, resulting in a fifth-place finish in AL Rookie of the Year balloting. The Yankees are hoping he can recapture that magic and earn a spot at the back of the starting rotation.

1. ditto65 - Mar 2, 2014 at 9:57 AM

& immediately return to the DL after injuring each other administering a bro hug.

2. uyf1950 - Mar 2, 2014 at 10:23 AM

The Yankees are obviously being very cautious with both Tex and Pineda and rightfully so. No need to rush them back this early in ST, it’s much better to ease them back into action.

• pisano - Mar 2, 2014 at 11:16 AM

uyf1950… my friend I posted the other day the Yankees should keep their eyes open for a good deal on a first baseman, I don’t see Tex going a full season, what’s your opinion?

• uyf1950 - Mar 2, 2014 at 12:29 PM

I don’t think he’ll play the full schedule but I do think it’s entirely possible he gives them 140 games. We’ll find out shortly I think just how healthy he is once he gets into a ST routine.

Also, there will be options for a back up as ST progresses with teams releasing players. Also keep in mind as teams fall out of contention in June some will be looking to dump salary as usual. Just using this as an example only I don’t see Adam Dunn being with the White Sox all season. Like I said that’s just an example.

I’m not really overly concerned at this point because the Yankees are also looking at some of the ST invitees as possible backups for 1st base. Whether or not any of them stands a legit chance of making the team, it’s way to early to tell.

3. dirtyharry1971 - Mar 2, 2014 at 11:51 AM

Can’t wait to see Pineda, early reports have been great if they get this guy healthy look out

• yournuts - Mar 2, 2014 at 2:35 PM

Pineda is the man I expect to be the number 5 starter this year and have around for many years. He should be awesome.

4. thepoolshark - Mar 2, 2014 at 12:20 PM

As unlikely as it seems, Pineda could be just as important as Tanaka in the Yanks rotation. If he comes back strong, which is pretty unusual with labrum injuries, it will strengthen the rotation at the back end. With Kuroda’s age and Sabathia’s downhill slide, Tanaka needs to dominate from the start and Pineda could well hold the key to the difference between contending and 3rd place again for the Yanks.

• dirtyharry1971 - Mar 2, 2014 at 12:40 PM

CC is one year removed from elbow surgery, I expect to see a different pitcher this year. Tex before last year never missed a lot of time, I fully expect him to play 145 to 150 games as he to is about a year removed from surgery. I would however like to see another arm for the bullpen and somebody who closed before, I like Robertson but I think he throws a lot of pitches and will be hard to use 3 days in a row if needed.

• uyf1950 - Mar 2, 2014 at 12:41 PM

My friend I don’t disagree that Pineda pitching well will be a boost to the Yankees rotation. What I think is a bit of an exaggeration on your part is the comment “…Sabathia’s downhill slide,…” Granted he had a bad 2013. But that hardly qualifies as a downhill slide. There may have been reasons for his 2013 performance. For example, he had surgery prior to the start of the 2013 season and never really got healthy. Yes he lost some speed off his fastball. I believe he averaged 91.8 MPH in 2013. While that’s not 94 or 95 MPH plenty of pitchers are very very successful at 91 and 92 MPH even it that’s where his FB settles in at. BTW, I wouldn’t take to much from the fact that yesterday during his first ST outing of the year he only hit 88 MPH it’s very early in ST.

I think CC’s enough of a professional to make whatever adjustments he needs to to be successful even if his FB isn’t what it used to be.

• dirtyharry1971 - Mar 2, 2014 at 4:58 PM

Well said, its not like CC and Tex are that old where its over for them. Especially CC he is still in his prime as far as age goes

5. kellytoole878 - Mar 2, 2014 at 1:19 PM

Start working part time. I kept hearing other people tell me how much money they can make online so I decided to look into it. Well, it was all true and has totally changed my life. This is what I do…….

B­­A­­­Y­­­­9­­­­­1.C­O­M

Angels' 2011 overhaul finally paying off?
  1. R. Castillo (3265)