Mar 2, 2014, 8:30 AM EST
Mike Leake was scheduled to make a start for the Reds this afternoon but he has been scratched due to an abdominal injury suffered during a workout roughly a month before the start of spring training, according to manager Bryan Price. Brett Marshall will start in Leake’s place.
Thankfully, it isn’t a serious injury. More, from MLB.com’s Mark Sheldon:
“It’s a little bit of a strain. It’s not causing any problem with his bullpens, with his lifting or any of his throwing stuff. He was out playing long toss before his last bullpen and he felt it a little bit.
“We’ve just been really cautious with it. That’s one of those situations where if it gets worse, you’re looking at a real setback. If we skip him for a start, we’re probably looking at a non-issue in another 5-to-7 days.”
Leake is now a regular part of the Reds’ rotation after a solid 2013 campaign. The right-hander finished with a 3.37 ERA in 192 1/3 innings.
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 100
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 62
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 42
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (132)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)