Mar 2, 2014, 8:30 AM EDT
Mike Leake was scheduled to make a start for the Reds this afternoon but he has been scratched due to an abdominal injury suffered during a workout roughly a month before the start of spring training, according to manager Bryan Price. Brett Marshall will start in Leake’s place.
Thankfully, it isn’t a serious injury. More, from MLB.com’s Mark Sheldon:
“It’s a little bit of a strain. It’s not causing any problem with his bullpens, with his lifting or any of his throwing stuff. He was out playing long toss before his last bullpen and he felt it a little bit.
“We’ve just been really cautious with it. That’s one of those situations where if it gets worse, you’re looking at a real setback. If we skip him for a start, we’re probably looking at a non-issue in another 5-to-7 days.”
Leake is now a regular part of the Reds’ rotation after a solid 2013 campaign. The right-hander finished with a 3.37 ERA in 192 1/3 innings.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 19
- Report: Cubs calling up prospect infielder Addison Russell 23
- Jonathan Lucroy headed to disabled list with broken toe 9
- Reds manager Bryan Price goes on profanity-laden tirade against media 66
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 75
- Report: Marlins manager Mike Redmond is on the hot seat 41
- Five Royals ejected in Sunday’s series finale against the Athletics 88
- White Sox will promote Carlos Rodon on Monday 14
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (129)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (111)