Mar 2, 2014, 8:30 AM EDT
Mike Leake was scheduled to make a start for the Reds this afternoon but he has been scratched due to an abdominal injury suffered during a workout roughly a month before the start of spring training, according to manager Bryan Price. Brett Marshall will start in Leake’s place.
Thankfully, it isn’t a serious injury. More, from MLB.com’s Mark Sheldon:
“It’s a little bit of a strain. It’s not causing any problem with his bullpens, with his lifting or any of his throwing stuff. He was out playing long toss before his last bullpen and he felt it a little bit.
“We’ve just been really cautious with it. That’s one of those situations where if it gets worse, you’re looking at a real setback. If we skip him for a start, we’re probably looking at a non-issue in another 5-to-7 days.”
Leake is now a regular part of the Reds’ rotation after a solid 2013 campaign. The right-hander finished with a 3.37 ERA in 192 1/3 innings.
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 0
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 91
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 124
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (127)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (99)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (98)