Mar 2, 2014, 2:35 PM EDT
The Rangers are hoping that Neftali Feliz can retake the closer’s role after Joe Nathan departed for the Tigers, but according to Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News, his mechanics are “out of whack” in the early going. Grant writes that Feliz is not getting his arm extended enough to generate velocity, which is Feliz’s calling card.
If the Rangers aren’t happy with Feliz’s performance in spring training, Joakim Soria could wind up as the closer. Soria missed all of the 2012 and more than half of the 2013 season after recovering from Tommy John surgery on his right elbow. He finished with a 3.80 ERA in 23 2/3 innings with the Rangers between July and September last season. From 2007-10, he was one of baseball’s elite closers with the Royals.
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 2
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 4
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 83
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 51
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (90)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (86)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)