Mar 2, 2014, 5:15 PM EDT
Mike Carp recently offered to learn third base for the Red Sox, a move not entirely based in altruism as it would give the left-hander some much-needed playing time. Carp had a great 2013 for the Red Sox, posting an .885 OPS in 243 plate appearances, 215 of them against right-handed pitchers.
But there’s no obvious spot for Carp in the lineup with David Ortiz at DH and Mike Napoli at first base. As a result, the Red Sox could explore trading Carp. According to Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe, scouts from the Pirates and Brewers have been at Red Sox camp keeping an eye on Carp. The Pirates in particular could use a platoon partner at first base with Gaby Sanchez.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 21
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (83)