Mar 2, 2014, 5:15 PM EST
Mike Carp recently offered to learn third base for the Red Sox, a move not entirely based in altruism as it would give the left-hander some much-needed playing time. Carp had a great 2013 for the Red Sox, posting an .885 OPS in 243 plate appearances, 215 of them against right-handed pitchers.
But there’s no obvious spot for Carp in the lineup with David Ortiz at DH and Mike Napoli at first base. As a result, the Red Sox could explore trading Carp. According to Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe, scouts from the Pirates and Brewers have been at Red Sox camp keeping an eye on Carp. The Pirates in particular could use a platoon partner at first base with Gaby Sanchez.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 306
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (125)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)