Mar 2, 2014, 5:15 PM EST
Mike Carp recently offered to learn third base for the Red Sox, a move not entirely based in altruism as it would give the left-hander some much-needed playing time. Carp had a great 2013 for the Red Sox, posting an .885 OPS in 243 plate appearances, 215 of them against right-handed pitchers.
But there’s no obvious spot for Carp in the lineup with David Ortiz at DH and Mike Napoli at first base. As a result, the Red Sox could explore trading Carp. According to Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe, scouts from the Pirates and Brewers have been at Red Sox camp keeping an eye on Carp. The Pirates in particular could use a platoon partner at first base with Gaby Sanchez.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 71
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 33
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)