Mar 3, 2014, 8:27 PM EDT
Kristie Rieken of the Associated Press has a really interesting read on Astros prospect Jonathan Singleton, who served a 50-game suspension at the start of last season after a second positive test for marijuana use. Singleton, who had a month-long stay at an in-patient rehab center, was brutally honest about the impact the drug had on him.
“At this point it’s pretty evident to me that I’m a drug addict,” he told The Associated Press over breakfast on a recent day near the Astros’ camp. “I don’t openly tell everyone that, but it’s pretty apparent to myself.”“I know that I enjoy smoking weed, I enjoy being high and I can’t block that out of my mind that I enjoy that,” he said. “So I have to work against that.”
Singleton said he hasn’t smoked marijuana in more than one year, but it hasn’t been an easy road. In fact, he admitted that he turned to alcohol as a substitute last year amid his struggles at the Triple-A level and would wake up “hung over every single morning.” Talk about unintended consequences. Singleton is said to be in a better place mentally now and he could be a factor with the Astros in the early part of this season if all goes well.
By the way, Singleton was added to the Astros’ 40-man roster in October and can no longer be tested for marijuana.
Per Brian McTaggart of MLB.com, the Astros released the following statement regarding Singelton’s comments:
“We applaud Jon for the courage he has shown in tackling this issue head on. He has displayed a great deal of maturity and commitment over the past year and has the full support of the Astros organization. He is on the right track for his baseball career, and, more importantly, for his life. We are very proud of Jon.”
- Phillies officials “have contemplated the possibility of paying off” and releasing Ryan Howard 20
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 16
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 158
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 30
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 108
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (158)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (96)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)