Mar 3, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT
SARASOTA — One of the first things I saw upon entering the Orioles’ clubhouse this morning was Delmon Young wearing compression shorts and no shirt on. And you guys say you wish you had my job.
I will say, though, Young looked better in that ensemble than I figured he might. It made me wonder if he wasn’t in better shape this year than he’s been in the past few years. My guess was confirmed by MASN’s Roch Kubatko, who asked Buck Showalter about it. here’s Buck:
“Delmon can hit,” Showalter said. “He’s probably in as good a shape as he’s been in in a long time.”
Also, Kubatko felt it necessary to note that, when he spoke with Young, Young was “bathed in a heavy sweat.” There’s the second mental image for you today.
Seriously, though. Good for Young. The only times he’s been a solid major leaguer have come when he’s been in good shape. And given that Nelson Cruz‘s presence may mean it’s hard for Young to make the team, he’s going to need every advantage he can get to be in the bigs this year.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 58
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 74
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 80
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 66
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)