Mar 3, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT
SARASOTA — One of the first things I saw upon entering the Orioles’ clubhouse this morning was Delmon Young wearing compression shorts and no shirt on. And you guys say you wish you had my job.
I will say, though, Young looked better in that ensemble than I figured he might. It made me wonder if he wasn’t in better shape this year than he’s been in the past few years. My guess was confirmed by MASN’s Roch Kubatko, who asked Buck Showalter about it. here’s Buck:
“Delmon can hit,” Showalter said. “He’s probably in as good a shape as he’s been in in a long time.”
Also, Kubatko felt it necessary to note that, when he spoke with Young, Young was “bathed in a heavy sweat.” There’s the second mental image for you today.
Seriously, though. Good for Young. The only times he’s been a solid major leaguer have come when he’s been in good shape. And given that Nelson Cruz‘s presence may mean it’s hard for Young to make the team, he’s going to need every advantage he can get to be in the bigs this year.
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 0
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 67
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 58
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 15
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 27
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 65
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (87)