Mar 3, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT
SARASOTA — One of the first things I saw upon entering the Orioles’ clubhouse this morning was Delmon Young wearing compression shorts and no shirt on. And you guys say you wish you had my job.
I will say, though, Young looked better in that ensemble than I figured he might. It made me wonder if he wasn’t in better shape this year than he’s been in the past few years. My guess was confirmed by MASN’s Roch Kubatko, who asked Buck Showalter about it. here’s Buck:
“Delmon can hit,” Showalter said. “He’s probably in as good a shape as he’s been in in a long time.”
Also, Kubatko felt it necessary to note that, when he spoke with Young, Young was “bathed in a heavy sweat.” There’s the second mental image for you today.
Seriously, though. Good for Young. The only times he’s been a solid major leaguer have come when he’s been in good shape. And given that Nelson Cruz‘s presence may mean it’s hard for Young to make the team, he’s going to need every advantage he can get to be in the bigs this year.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 7
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)