Mar 3, 2014, 10:32 PM EDT
Zack Greinke left his spring training debut last Thursday due to a strained right calf and Dodgers manager Don Mattingly told Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times today that he’s unlikely to be ready for the team’s two-game opening series against the Diamondbacks in Australia from March 22-23.
Greinke played catch today, but it’s not clear when he’ll be ready to get back on a mound. Realistically, there just isn’t enough time for him to get stretched out to 90 pitches in time to make the trip.
Of course, Greinke wasn’t all that excited about pitching in Australia in the first place, so it shouldn’t be a big deal as long assuming he’s ready to go at the end of March or close to it. It still looks like he has a chance to do that.
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 16
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 38
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- The 2015 Gillette Home Run Derby will have a new format 35
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)