Nolan Reimold went home because of Florida breakfasts

Mar 3, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT

Paul Newman eggs

SARASOTA — Buck Showalter spoke to the media down on the field after Orioles’ BP this morning. As part of the usual report he told reporters that Nolan Reimold went home this morning and wouldn’t be here today. Reason? Breakfast food.

Or at least a breakfast restaurant. It’s unclear when Reimold ate at the particular establishment which (a) is open 24 hours; and (b) which Showalter preferred not be named in the interests of politeness. But whatever he had disagreed with him. That set off a longish discussion of places one still goes to eat even if you’ve had a bad experience there because, man, that’s just the cost of doing business if you want convenience.

Personally I would apply that rule to Taco Bell, as that’s simply not a replaceable good when you need that sort of thing. Beyond that I’d be hard-pressed to continue to patronize anyplace that did to me what it did to Reimold. But we’re in Florida and there really aren’t many places that are a grand slam if you want convenient food, ya know?

1. stlouis1baseball - Mar 3, 2014 at 12:36 PM

So he went to Denny’s huh?

2. missingdiz - Mar 3, 2014 at 12:38 PM

I’d bet on Waffle House.

• raysfan1 - Mar 3, 2014 at 3:35 PM

No, I’d guess Stlouis above is right that it was Denny’s, since Craig euphemistically used the term “grand slam” in the article. However, there’s no doubt Waffle House has caused such problems before too.

3. karlkolchak - Mar 3, 2014 at 12:41 PM

“Most people just don’t have a taste for testicles anymore.”

• js20011041 - Mar 3, 2014 at 2:00 PM

The trick is, you gotta cut em off way up high.

4. halladaysbiceps - Mar 3, 2014 at 12:48 PM

When I lived in Tampa for a few years, the best breakfast place down there was the Egg Platter. I don’t know if it’s still in business, but their omelets were the best. Many a night I would pass out in my omelet at 4:00AM. The waitress understood though. Partying in Ybor City all night does that to a man.

• vanmorrissey - Mar 3, 2014 at 4:06 PM

Biceps, you back for good?

5. spudchukar - Mar 3, 2014 at 12:53 PM

Waffle House.

• stlouis1baseball - Mar 3, 2014 at 1:03 PM

I am thinking the reference to the “grand slam” was a hint.

6. proudlycanadian - Mar 3, 2014 at 1:26 PM

Obviously, he did not eat the Breakfast of Champions.

7. kalinedrive - Mar 3, 2014 at 1:53 PM

For the people who need attribution for common cultural references, the picture associated with this post is of Paul Newman, actor, on his way to eating 50 hard-boiled eggs in an hour, from a movie named “Cool Hand Luke.”

I won’t spoil this 46 year old movie by explaining why he ate 50 eggs, but he didn’t have a game that afternoon.

• yahmule - Mar 3, 2014 at 4:07 PM

There are people who haven’t seen Cool Hand Luke? I watch it at least once a year.

• kalinedrive - Mar 3, 2014 at 5:09 PM

I throw a line into a conversation at least once a month. Which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it. I don’t like it any more than you men.

• nothanksimdriving123 - Mar 3, 2014 at 4:32 PM

What we have here is, failure to regurgitate

Or not…

8. craigssideburns - Mar 3, 2014 at 1:55 PM

Had to be Denny’s. Western omelet with a side of diarrhea.

9. yab1sh - Mar 3, 2014 at 2:13 PM

If you live in Sarasota and you’re not eating breakfast at Yoder’s you’re doing it wrong.

10. professor30 - Mar 3, 2014 at 2:31 PM

I wouldn’t eat at Taco Bell if it was free, seriously. Who hasn’t seen ” Cool Hand Luke “, it ‘a classic. One of those movies you have to watch everytime you see it flipping through the channels.

• therooneyskilledwebster - Mar 3, 2014 at 8:46 PM

George Kennedy at his best. And don’t get me started in the “car wash” scene.

11. jlinatl - Mar 3, 2014 at 3:00 PM

What we have here is a failure to …

(The reference needed to be made but everything I thought of was too gross to write)

12. jpalughi823 - Mar 3, 2014 at 3:45 PM

why am i not shocked this happened to him of all people?

13. pisano - Mar 4, 2014 at 1:15 AM

George Kennedy’s line at the end: ” Ol Luke, he was a good ol boy, a natural born world shaker. That he was, Mr. Newman, you are missed.

• yahmule - Mar 4, 2014 at 3:46 AM

My favorite actor ever.

14. thebirdsareback - Mar 4, 2014 at 1:36 PM

Whats more shocking, is that this made the headlines….and even more shocking is that Nolan Riemold actually has his name somewhere, where people outside of baltimore can see. Too bad the dude cant stay healthy, he has potential written all over him with erasable marker

Pitching duel highlights Game 1 of WS