Mar 3, 2014, 2:20 PM EDT
MASN’s Roch Kubatko — who is sitting right in front of me today in the Orioles’ press box, so he’s smooth — reports that the Orioles are nearing a minor league contract with Johan Santana. Santana is apparently here in Orioles camp in Sarasota today working on the details of the deal.
It’s definitely something of a flyer. Santana topped out at 81 mph during a throwing session for teams last Tuesday, so this is a depth play and a hope that, after some time in extended spring training, Santana can be useful.
- Video: Watch Kris Bryant get his first major league hit and RBI 4
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 15
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 55
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 28
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 26
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 48
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 49
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)