Mar 3, 2014, 2:20 PM EDT
MASN’s Roch Kubatko — who is sitting right in front of me today in the Orioles’ press box, so he’s smooth — reports that the Orioles are nearing a minor league contract with Johan Santana. Santana is apparently here in Orioles camp in Sarasota today working on the details of the deal.
It’s definitely something of a flyer. Santana topped out at 81 mph during a throwing session for teams last Tuesday, so this is a depth play and a hope that, after some time in extended spring training, Santana can be useful.
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 60
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 35
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 38
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 9
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The Royals asked a fan in Marlins gear to change his shirt last night. He refused. (86)