Mar 3, 2014, 2:20 PM EDT
MASN’s Roch Kubatko — who is sitting right in front of me today in the Orioles’ press box, so he’s smooth — reports that the Orioles are nearing a minor league contract with Johan Santana. Santana is apparently here in Orioles camp in Sarasota today working on the details of the deal.
It’s definitely something of a flyer. Santana topped out at 81 mph during a throwing session for teams last Tuesday, so this is a depth play and a hope that, after some time in extended spring training, Santana can be useful.
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 0
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 4
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 9
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 22
- World Series Reset: The Royals look to pick themselves up off the mat 8
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 7
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (128)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (95)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)