Mar 3, 2014, 2:20 PM EDT
MASN’s Roch Kubatko — who is sitting right in front of me today in the Orioles’ press box, so he’s smooth — reports that the Orioles are nearing a minor league contract with Johan Santana. Santana is apparently here in Orioles camp in Sarasota today working on the details of the deal.
It’s definitely something of a flyer. Santana topped out at 81 mph during a throwing session for teams last Tuesday, so this is a depth play and a hope that, after some time in extended spring training, Santana can be useful.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 0
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 77
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 51
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)