Mar 4, 2014, 10:31 AM EDT
Kinsler, traded from Texas to Detroit for Prince Fielder over the winter, called Rangers GM Jon Daniels a “sleazeball” who “got in good with the owners and straight pushed [former Rangers CEO Nolan] Ryan out.” He was and still is upset that Michael Young was traded in Dec. 2012 in part because it created a leadership void that he had no interest in filling himself.
“I was bogged down,” Kinsler said. “They wanted me to lead these young players, teach them the way to compete, when the only thing I should be worried about is how I’m performing in the game.”
Kinsler showed just how interested he was in leading when he declined to move to first base to make room for top prospect Jurickson Profar at second base after the 2012 season. That decision, as much as anything else, sealed his fate in Texas.
Daniels was also quoted about the article, but he declined to criticize Kinsler, even after being told of the “sleazeball” comment. “I’m not going to justify that,” he says. “He was a key member of the best teams in the history of the franchise. He’s entitled to his opinion.”
Kinsler, of course, says he’s rededicated himself since the trade. He’s lost 15 pounds, and he intends to show more range at second base. You know, the kind of thing he wasn’t interested in doing for the team that gave him a five-year, $75 million contract in the first place. “To be honest with you, I hope they go 0-162,” Kinsler said. “I got friends, and I love my friends, but I hope they lose their ass.”
Update: Backtracking Tuesday at the Tigers complex, Kinsler said his comments about about Daniels were taken out of context and that the 0-162 thing was meant as a joke. He called the ESPN The Magazine piece “a story written for drama.“
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 72
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 15
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8
- Brandon Belt headed to disabled list with concussion 5
- Cardinals are interested in David Price, but “would want a financial commitment” from him 47