Josh Hamilton loves having company in the Texas Rangers’ doghouse

Mar 4, 2014, 2:28 PM EDT

After Ian Kinsler’s unfortunate interview went public this morning, another former Ranger reached out to him:

Hamilton, you’ll recall, drew the ire of Rangers fans after he said Dallas is not a baseball town. He was right about that, but jeez, he should’ve known that wasn’t going to go over.

I dunno. Maybe the best course here is to just avoid being in the doghouse by not saying stuff that you know, or should know, is going to draw the ire of the Rangers, their fans and the media.

As it stands, Kinsler said earlier today that his comments were “taken out of context” so maybe he didn’t mean to be in the Rangers’ doghouse. Maybe we all just missed the subtle nuance of the word “sleazeball.” It’s a delicate and complicated concept that I’m sure he meant in a nice way as opposed to disparage. Just missing, you know, that important context.

1. proudlycanadian - Mar 4, 2014 at 2:36 PM

You are correct. I am sure that the word “sleazeball” can be subject to more than one interpretation. Unfortunately, all of those interpretations connote a negative message.

• 18thstreet - Mar 4, 2014 at 2:43 PM

“Man, that Michael Jordan is such a sleezeball.”

• kevinbnyc - Mar 4, 2014 at 4:28 PM

Probably a bad example.

• paperlions - Mar 4, 2014 at 2:45 PM

Yeah, I’m sure he said something like, “The GM is a sleazeball, I mean that in the best possible way.”

• historiophiliac - Mar 4, 2014 at 2:55 PM

I might’ve dated that guy too.

• asimonetti88 - Mar 4, 2014 at 3:44 PM

Maybe he was referring to a new pitch developed by Daniels called the sleazeball?

• historiophiliac - Mar 4, 2014 at 4:00 PM

I’m totally choking on a Kenny Rogers joke right now. lol

• jaturso - Mar 4, 2014 at 4:05 PM

The interviewer, I’m sure, left out the words, “With all due respect.” Because, as Ricky Bobby taught us (apart from, “If you’re not first, you’re last”), it’s in the Geneva Conventions that you can say anything you want to anyone you want, as long as it’s prefaced with, “With all due respect.”

• raysfan1 - Mar 4, 2014 at 7:21 PM

Or “no offense intended.”

The best on in the south is “bless his heart” though–as in “That Daniels is such a sleaze ball, bless his heart.” Doesn’t that just sound friendlier?

• nocryinginbaseball07 - Mar 5, 2014 at 4:32 AM

Or you can end it with “just sayin'”.
        Just sayin’.

2. darthicarus - Mar 4, 2014 at 2:37 PM

I appreciate when athlete’s give an interview & actually speak what they mean instead of canned crap. I’m sure Daniels will sleep fine tonight knowing that Kinsler thinks he is a sleazeball (in or out of context).

3. paperlions - Mar 4, 2014 at 2:39 PM

Well, I see two possibilities:

1) If all of these jackwagons (Kinsler, Hamilton, et al.) won so many games, maybe this is evidence that club house chemistry is overrated

or

2) Maybe the ability to keep all of these jackwagons in line so the team could focus on winning is why Ron Washington is valued by the Rangers

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Mar 4, 2014 at 2:51 PM

Option 3:

Cocaine is a helluva drug?

• paperlions - Mar 4, 2014 at 2:56 PM

At least Hamilton and Washington got to share an accountabilibuddy.

• spudchukar - Mar 4, 2014 at 3:11 PM

Option #4, options #1, #2, and #3 are correct (especially #3), and Young, Ryan, Hamilton, and Kinsler et al while none too eloquent are somewhat correct too.

4. beefytrout - Mar 4, 2014 at 2:47 PM

Kinsler’s not really in the doghouse, as far as the bandwagon fans go. In fact, he said exactly what they say all the time.

5. chacochicken - Mar 4, 2014 at 2:48 PM

Wait, did he say “No offense but Jon Daniels is a sleazeball” ? Because that pretty much exempts him from scrutiny.

6. dcarroll73 - Mar 4, 2014 at 2:58 PM

Craig, remind me again why is it that anyone should care whether or not they “draw the ire of the Rangers, their fans and the media”?
    Dallas is not a baseball town, but it is a pretty good .500 football town (talk about entities one would wish to go 0-for-the-season.)

• Craig Calcaterra - Mar 4, 2014 at 3:00 PM

Given that Kinsler attempted damage control today, he obviously cares.

• Caught Looking - Mar 4, 2014 at 3:12 PM

No, he only cares because when the Tigers visit Arlington on June 25, it also happens to be Nolan Ryan Beef Dollar Hot Dog Night.

The irony.

7. kiwicricket - Mar 4, 2014 at 3:08 PM

Slightly off topic….but is the term ‘doghouse’ predominantly a southern saying? Or used all over the States?

I have only really come across it when someone is describing an individual being in trouble.

• Caught Looking - Mar 4, 2014 at 3:13 PM

Married men have forever been in the doghouse for doing something.wrong

• historiophiliac - Mar 4, 2014 at 3:22 PM

I think people use it all over. It means you’ve been kicked out of the house and have to sleep in the doghouse (in they yard/outside).

• kiwicricket - Mar 4, 2014 at 3:31 PM

I know the saying, but I have only really come across people mention the word ‘kennel’ when describing the Dog’s outdoor living situation.

So ‘Doghouse’ is a created word specific for the phrase? Dogs have feelings, why is their place used as a derogatory term?!

• historiophiliac - Mar 4, 2014 at 3:53 PM

No, doghouse is an old name for a little doggie domicile in the yard where the dog sleeps (it’s own little house). It’s kind of old fashioned now, I guess. When people say kennel around my parts, it’s usually a place that boards dogs or a fenced space to detain them (smaller than a yard or run). The point is that the loser that got kicked out of the house passes it on and kicks the dog out in order to have some shelter. It’s better to have shelter than sleep exposed. Really, it’s like having to sleep on the couch — couches aren’t bad things and we sometimes choose to sleep on them. But, it’s not good when wifey makes you sleep there because you can’t be in bed with her.

Do you not use this?

• missingdiz - Mar 4, 2014 at 4:42 PM

“I come in last night about half past ten,
        that baby of mine wouldn’t let me in
        So move it on over, rock it on over,
        move over little dog, the mean old dog is movin’ in.”

8. themanytoolsofignorance - Mar 4, 2014 at 3:14 PM

Josh Hamilton is doing his best to support his friend here. I think well of him for it. As for Kinsler, I wish he had not attempted the damage control. Say it. Stand by it. Play ball. The end. By retracting his clearly heartfelt statements he now appears wishy-washy and weak. Never a good look for a public figure.

• historiophiliac - Mar 4, 2014 at 3:24 PM

Or, just tweet a picture of yourself kissing an alligator and everyone has something new and exciting to talk about.

• themanytoolsofignorance - Mar 4, 2014 at 5:04 PM

Kissing alligators is it? I presume this was off season hijinxery between new Tiger’s teammates? Ah, young men being young men. Lets just chalk this one up to an excess of testosterone, youth, and money. When I was young and poor all I could afford to kiss off of the beaten path was Melissa O’Rourke, a young woman more known more for her ability to stack bags of soybeans in wet weather rather than romance. She made no attempt to snap my lips off and hadn’t any reputation for doing such, so I rather think Kinsler and his friends were risking more than I was.

9. doctorofsmuganomics - Mar 4, 2014 at 3:25 PM

Who cares, the rangers and the majority of their fanbase are trash.

I’ve yet to meet a Rangers fan who didn’t turn out to be a total tool

• kiwicricket - Mar 4, 2014 at 3:32 PM

Slight blanket statement…no?

• historiophiliac - Mar 4, 2014 at 3:58 PM

In Oklahoma, we have this joke about Texas:

You know why Texas doesn’t float off into the Gulf? Because it sucks.

(Of course, they say the same thing about us.)

• doctorofsmuganomics - Mar 4, 2014 at 4:08 PM

Not from my experiences

• chacochicken - Mar 4, 2014 at 4:13 PM

A prominent but extremely difficult anthropologist left the University of New Mexico for SMU. The popular sentiment was that the IQ of both states went up.

• beefytrout - Mar 4, 2014 at 4:22 PM

wait… the players are trash, too?

• doctorofsmuganomics - Mar 4, 2014 at 4:32 PM

Probably.

10. happytwinsfan - Mar 4, 2014 at 4:11 PM

after reading the espn article, kinsler seems defensive and quick to lash out when slighted, in artfully impulsive with his word choices and even a little petulant.

i like the guy, he sounds like me.

11. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Mar 4, 2014 at 4:18 PM

For the most part, it looks like Texas made good choices in sending players away recently

12. drs76109 - Mar 4, 2014 at 5:59 PM

Quietly, there is a lot of similar sentiment towards Daniels here in DFW. Particularly given how Ryan was pushed out but also how Washington’s bench coach was railroaded too. And it’s really kind of amazing that Washington didn’t stick up for that coach because he’s be hired in a minute elsewhere. Doesn’t show a lot of leadership for the coaching staff – unlike, say the Oakland Raiders coach who stood up for his staff. He might eventually be gone but at least he stood on principle.

Like, maybe, Houston, for starters.

13. justinwolf13 - Mar 5, 2014 at 2:10 PM

He was right, DALLAS wasnt a baseball town, Arlington is.

All the trade deadline news to know