Mar 4, 2014, 11:30 PM EDT
UPDATE: Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports that Masterson and his agent have made a three-to-four-year proposal to the Indians which is believed to be in the $40-60 million range. They are currently waiting to hear back from the team, but the request sounds pretty reasonable.
8:51 p.m. ET: Justin Masterson can become a free agent after this season, but he expressed optimism over the weekend about agreeing to a contract extension with the Indians. This report from CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman is another hint that things are moving in the right direction:
Indians star pitcher Justin Masterson named his price in contract discussions with the team over the weekend, and word is, he could be amenable to a shorter-term deal than the free-agent market would likely warrant, perhaps even as little as three years, depending on the price.
Masterson’s agent, Randy Rowley, suggested a figure in talks Saturday with the Indians, and while that number isn’t known, and there’s work to do, there is said to be a decent feeling among Indians people that they may be able to work something out with the right-hander, if not immediately then perhaps by the end of spring. Indians GM Chris Antonetti declined comment.
There was some speculation that Masterson would look for a deal similar in structure to Homer Bailey‘s recent six-year, $105 million extension with the Reds, so this is a very positive development for the Indians. Rowley told Heyman that Masterson is motivated to stay with Cleveland because of his admiration for Terry Francona and his teammates as well as his family situation. However, while they might see eye to eye as far as years, the price remains a question.
Masterson, who turns 29 later this month, recently avoided arbitration with the Indians by agreeing to a $9.7625 million contract. He’s coming off a 3.45 ERA and 195/76 K/BB ratio over 193 innings last year.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 20
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 15
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 34
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 109
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (109)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)