Mar 4, 2014, 11:30 PM EST
UPDATE: Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports that Masterson and his agent have made a three-to-four-year proposal to the Indians which is believed to be in the $40-60 million range. They are currently waiting to hear back from the team, but the request sounds pretty reasonable.
8:51 p.m. ET: Justin Masterson can become a free agent after this season, but he expressed optimism over the weekend about agreeing to a contract extension with the Indians. This report from CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman is another hint that things are moving in the right direction:
Indians star pitcher Justin Masterson named his price in contract discussions with the team over the weekend, and word is, he could be amenable to a shorter-term deal than the free-agent market would likely warrant, perhaps even as little as three years, depending on the price.
Masterson’s agent, Randy Rowley, suggested a figure in talks Saturday with the Indians, and while that number isn’t known, and there’s work to do, there is said to be a decent feeling among Indians people that they may be able to work something out with the right-hander, if not immediately then perhaps by the end of spring. Indians GM Chris Antonetti declined comment.
There was some speculation that Masterson would look for a deal similar in structure to Homer Bailey‘s recent six-year, $105 million extension with the Reds, so this is a very positive development for the Indians. Rowley told Heyman that Masterson is motivated to stay with Cleveland because of his admiration for Terry Francona and his teammates as well as his family situation. However, while they might see eye to eye as far as years, the price remains a question.
Masterson, who turns 29 later this month, recently avoided arbitration with the Indians by agreeing to a $9.7625 million contract. He’s coming off a 3.45 ERA and 195/76 K/BB ratio over 193 innings last year.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 290
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (301)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)