Mar 4, 2014, 11:30 PM EDT
UPDATE: Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports that Masterson and his agent have made a three-to-four-year proposal to the Indians which is believed to be in the $40-60 million range. They are currently waiting to hear back from the team, but the request sounds pretty reasonable.
8:51 p.m. ET: Justin Masterson can become a free agent after this season, but he expressed optimism over the weekend about agreeing to a contract extension with the Indians. This report from CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman is another hint that things are moving in the right direction:
Indians star pitcher Justin Masterson named his price in contract discussions with the team over the weekend, and word is, he could be amenable to a shorter-term deal than the free-agent market would likely warrant, perhaps even as little as three years, depending on the price.
Masterson’s agent, Randy Rowley, suggested a figure in talks Saturday with the Indians, and while that number isn’t known, and there’s work to do, there is said to be a decent feeling among Indians people that they may be able to work something out with the right-hander, if not immediately then perhaps by the end of spring. Indians GM Chris Antonetti declined comment.
There was some speculation that Masterson would look for a deal similar in structure to Homer Bailey‘s recent six-year, $105 million extension with the Reds, so this is a very positive development for the Indians. Rowley told Heyman that Masterson is motivated to stay with Cleveland because of his admiration for Terry Francona and his teammates as well as his family situation. However, while they might see eye to eye as far as years, the price remains a question.
Masterson, who turns 29 later this month, recently avoided arbitration with the Indians by agreeing to a $9.7625 million contract. He’s coming off a 3.45 ERA and 195/76 K/BB ratio over 193 innings last year.
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 136
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 83
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 29
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 82
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (175)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (85)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)