Mar 4, 2014, 10:45 AM EDT
Washington has added even more bullpen depth, signing left-hander Mike Gonzalez to a minor-league deal with an invitation to spring training.
Gonzalez pitched well for the Nationals in 2012 and then spent last season with the Brewers, throwing 50 innings with a 4.68 ERA and 60/25 K/BB ratio.
He’s a good bet to be more effective than plenty of relievers with major-league contracts, but last season’s bloated ERA and the fact that he’s 36 years old didn’t help his market.
- Jordan Walden lands on disabled list with biceps injury 10
- Rays place outfielder Desmond Jennings on 15-day disabled list with bursitis in his left knee 0
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 31
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring 121
- Yankees GM Brian Cashman acknowledges team won’t pay A-Rod $6 million bonus for 660th home run 69
- Willie Mays congratulates Alex Rodriguez for reaching 660 career home runs 31
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 38
- Ryan Hanigan needs surgery, so the Red Sox will call up prospect Blake Swihart 15
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (362)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (201)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (162)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)