Mar 4, 2014, 10:45 AM EDT
Washington has added even more bullpen depth, signing left-hander Mike Gonzalez to a minor-league deal with an invitation to spring training.
Gonzalez pitched well for the Nationals in 2012 and then spent last season with the Brewers, throwing 50 innings with a 4.68 ERA and 60/25 K/BB ratio.
He’s a good bet to be more effective than plenty of relievers with major-league contracts, but last season’s bloated ERA and the fact that he’s 36 years old didn’t help his market.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 7
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)