Mar 4, 2014, 10:45 AM EDT
Washington has added even more bullpen depth, signing left-hander Mike Gonzalez to a minor-league deal with an invitation to spring training.
Gonzalez pitched well for the Nationals in 2012 and then spent last season with the Brewers, throwing 50 innings with a 4.68 ERA and 60/25 K/BB ratio.
He’s a good bet to be more effective than plenty of relievers with major-league contracts, but last season’s bloated ERA and the fact that he’s 36 years old didn’t help his market.
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 12
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 22
- Jenrry Mejia gets 162-game ban for second failed PED test 24
- Nationals, Phillies agree to Jonathan Papelbon trade 54
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process 66
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s 85
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 40
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)