Mar 4, 2014, 10:45 AM EDT
Washington has added even more bullpen depth, signing left-hander Mike Gonzalez to a minor-league deal with an invitation to spring training.
Gonzalez pitched well for the Nationals in 2012 and then spent last season with the Brewers, throwing 50 innings with a 4.68 ERA and 60/25 K/BB ratio.
He’s a good bet to be more effective than plenty of relievers with major-league contracts, but last season’s bloated ERA and the fact that he’s 36 years old didn’t help his market.
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 30
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 8
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 7
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 29
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 32
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Zack Greinke homers, Dodgers demolish the Giants 17-0 at AT&T Park 20
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (87)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)