Roger Clemens to be a big part of the Derek Jeter goodbye in Houston

Mar 4, 2014, 9:45 AM EDT

Roger Clemens AP

The Yankees’ first series this year is in Houston, and it’ll be the Yankees’ only trip to Houston, so it’ll be the first stop on the Derek Jeter farewell tour. And an old friend of Jeter’s will be playing a big part in the festivities:

The first stop on the Derek Jeter Long Goodbye Tour will be in Houston the opening series of the season. It should be one memorable tribute, especially when you consider who will be taking a large part in the event — Roger Clemens.

“Roger is going to be driving the bus,’’ Astros general manager Jeff Luhnow told The Post Monday at Roger Dean Stadium. “I’m sure it will be something special.’’

Of course this is only controversial for New York media people who view baseball players as villains and heroes, with Clemens the former and Jeter the latter. Jeter played with Clemens for six seasons and won two World Series titles with him, so it makes perfect sense that he’d play a big part. As might Andy Pettitte, who lives in the Houston area and played for both the Astros and Yankees.

But, because certain segments of the New York media have decided that Jeter is the anti-PED Superman, it makes Clemens taking part in this a thing. When it shouldn’t be a thing at all.

1. ez4u2sa - Mar 4, 2014 at 9:57 AM

I’ll bet Jeter would just as soon take a pass on this party.

• bigharold - Mar 4, 2014 at 10:32 AM

Why? From what I’ve read and seen Jeter has no problem keeping PEDs and those accused of using them in perspective. Case in point, Giambi. During the height of the frenzy over Giambi’s outtng Jeter went out of his way to say what a great teammate he was and it seemed clear he likes the guy.

I can’t say for sure what his exact position is with regard to Clemens/PEDs but he seemed to like the guy when he played with him so I don’t see Clemens as a sticking point.

2. nymets4ever - Mar 4, 2014 at 10:11 AM

He looks like Jabba the Hutt in that pic…

• bobwsc - Mar 4, 2014 at 11:20 AM

why attack Jabba like that?

• genericcommenter - Mar 4, 2014 at 12:23 PM

Or Joba the Toad, as that one guy likes to say in every comment.

3. Old Gator - Mar 4, 2014 at 10:23 AM

Unfortunately, the Nyork Media gets disseminated and picked up all over the country via syndication or just by the sheer beegniss of being…the Nyork Media. So, yes, it will be a thing. By the time the Borg pull up stakes and heads for Toronto, this will be the biggest episode of semiotic irradiation since Fukushima. It’s going to require all of Beep-Beep’s formidable blanderization skills. He is going to be watched like a crippled field mouse under a raptor flyway. Popcorn season comes early this year!

• bigharold - Mar 4, 2014 at 10:36 AM

Jeter will use his Jedi mind trick Jujitsu and leave the media in a heap on the ground wondering how they got there.

And, that’s NEW YORK to you OG.

• Old Gator - Mar 4, 2014 at 10:45 AM

Between you n’ me, I suspect you’re going to be proved right about the Captain. I did describe his ability to generate a Teflon™ doppelganger in an augenblick as “formidable,” did I not?

And I bet you’ve got one of those “New Yorker’s Maps of America” framed on your wall too – you know, the one with the huge New York, California and Florida with the rest of the country crammed into a tiny slash in between. In the terra incognita of those whited spaces, where monsters do live and where there exist nothing other of the known world but conjectural winds, it’s NYORC. And as the demographics continue to mutate, it will be more so.

• bigharold - Mar 4, 2014 at 11:08 AM

That thing about my map was practically clarvoient. Touché. But, you say it like its a bad thing.

• Old Gator - Mar 4, 2014 at 11:18 AM

No less than your guess about Claire across the street and my binoculars.

Now, if your map is at least marked with Tissot indicatrices to remind folks of its Nyorcan distortions, it’s just fine with me.

4. jonmarkbarre - Mar 4, 2014 at 10:25 AM

thanks for the warning. i make sure my tv off that day. the Rocket was the man til he ate up a steroid. became a dam crook.

5. proudlycanadian - Mar 4, 2014 at 10:26 AM

Enough already. I understand the Mo Rivera farewell tour complete with gifts, as hew was the best closer ever. Jeter is a very different player. He is not the best Short Stop ever. I see no reason for a repeat of the Rivera farewell tour complete with gifts from every team.

• sdelmonte - Mar 4, 2014 at 10:42 AM

I actually see no reason for anyone to go on a farewell tour. But it’s what we do now.

• Al - Mar 4, 2014 at 10:51 AM

@sdelmonte Agreed. As a baseball fan, I appreciate Jeter, but I fail to see why any team aside from the Yankees should be celebrating his career. It’s strange to me. Weren’t hard-nosed, old school types complaining about too much collegiality between players of opposing teams a year or so ago? This is leagues beyond that, in my opinion. Why shower gifts upon someone who’s helped defeat you for 18 years?

• sdelmonte - Mar 4, 2014 at 10:57 AM

Seeing Yankees showered with love by the Mets feels especially wrong. Though the Mets’ parting gifts to Mo included getting a win off him, so it wasn’t all bad.

6. psz0912 - Mar 4, 2014 at 10:29 AM

This is a non-story/old story!! Short term memory I guess…Roger Clemens made a SPEECH at Mariano Rivera’s ceremony on the final game of the season last year. He hugged and talked to Jeter on the field. Why would this be ANY different???

• pastabelly - Mar 4, 2014 at 1:27 PM

He is also being inducted into the Red Sox HOF this summer.

This one is a non-story with the exception of the Klapisch angle who writes that Jeter is the sworn enemy of PEDs.

As far as retirement tours go, I think they should be property of the Yankees. The next one I could see coming is one for David Ortiz, but I hope the public is sick of them by then. I like the way Helton handled his retirement last Fall (and even his homer against the Sox didn’t bother me too much). I would guess that Helton is a Hall of Famer as well.

7. karlkolchak - Mar 4, 2014 at 10:37 AM

This is what happens when you lose 100 games three straight yeras, you’ll do anything, no matter how controversial, to generate interest in your lousy club.

8. willclarkgameface - Mar 4, 2014 at 10:57 AM

Can we just retire retirement tours already? And why does this only happen when it’s a New York Yankee? Just curious.

Clemens.
    Mariano.
    Jeter.

It’s lame. REALLY lame. And this isn’t an anti-Yankee thing. I’m just tired of teams doing these ceremonies for opposing players. Baseball USED to be about hating the other team. Now it’s about networking in hopes that Scott Boras can talk your soon-to-be former teammates into coming to their ball club.

So boring.

• Kevin S. - Mar 4, 2014 at 11:14 AM

Yes, and also for those well-known Yankees Chipper Jones and Bobby Cox… oh.

• bigharold - Mar 4, 2014 at 11:33 AM

Exactly. If Chipper Jones rates a farewell tour then everybody should just shut up about Jeter.

And, keep in mind the opposing teams organize this, it’s not Yankee PR. I’d wager Jeter would rather pass on most of this stuff too.

9. yankeesfanlen - Mar 4, 2014 at 11:05 AM

As a new-age ballpark, was Minute Maid planned to accommodate those two heads at one time? Don’t want the train to become de-railed, after all.

• stex52 - Mar 4, 2014 at 11:55 AM

The air may get a little thin with the bloviating. But I think they can both fit in there.

10. cackalackyank - Mar 4, 2014 at 1:31 PM

Jeter is a diplomat. He will smile, shake Clemens hand, etc. He will demonstrate the difference between them without a word.

11. gymtruthteller - Mar 4, 2014 at 6:45 PM

One cheater to another. Not surprised.

12. acepicker4 - Mar 5, 2014 at 7:25 AM

OMG! The farewell tears start to flow in April? I like to think this will be the end of the farewell tour thing. We will be so tired of it by Oct. Hearing sportscenter start out with “It’s Derek Jeter’s last game in so and so park” will be down right nauseating after a while. (It’s right up there with “It’s the first time so and so did something since the last time someone else did something similar”) And I like Jeter. Wish he would have waited until September to announce his retirement plans.

• acepicker4 - Mar 5, 2014 at 7:27 AM

I suppose if he didn’t announce his retirement we would get “this could be Jeter’s last game in so and so park” so it is a no win situation.

13. daprez1963 - Mar 5, 2014 at 9:53 AM

Some of you haters seem to forget that he did it at an early age…in a tough sports city and for many years. Won several championships while playing consistently well with no off field controversy or arrests…bring a clean image in a major sport city with no PED aide, no disgrace to his team or sport. Play his position with great sportsmanship year after year….he is a TRUE WINNER and will always be…very respected by his team mates and opponents….he deserves the farewell tour. He has earned it.

Angels' 2011 overhaul finally paying off?
  1. G. Stanton (3927)