Mar 4, 2014, 9:45 AM EDT
The Yankees’ first series this year is in Houston, and it’ll be the Yankees’ only trip to Houston, so it’ll be the first stop on the Derek Jeter farewell tour. And an old friend of Jeter’s will be playing a big part in the festivities:
The first stop on the Derek Jeter Long Goodbye Tour will be in Houston the opening series of the season. It should be one memorable tribute, especially when you consider who will be taking a large part in the event — Roger Clemens.
“Roger is going to be driving the bus,’’ Astros general manager Jeff Luhnow told The Post Monday at Roger Dean Stadium. “I’m sure it will be something special.’’
Of course this is only controversial for New York media people who view baseball players as villains and heroes, with Clemens the former and Jeter the latter. Jeter played with Clemens for six seasons and won two World Series titles with him, so it makes perfect sense that he’d play a big part. As might Andy Pettitte, who lives in the Houston area and played for both the Astros and Yankees.
But, because certain segments of the New York media have decided that Jeter is the anti-PED Superman, it makes Clemens taking part in this a thing. When it shouldn’t be a thing at all.
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 7
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 22
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 13
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 12
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 38
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 12
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 43
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 186
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (187)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)