Mar 4, 2014, 9:45 AM EDT
The Yankees’ first series this year is in Houston, and it’ll be the Yankees’ only trip to Houston, so it’ll be the first stop on the Derek Jeter farewell tour. And an old friend of Jeter’s will be playing a big part in the festivities:
The first stop on the Derek Jeter Long Goodbye Tour will be in Houston the opening series of the season. It should be one memorable tribute, especially when you consider who will be taking a large part in the event — Roger Clemens.
“Roger is going to be driving the bus,’’ Astros general manager Jeff Luhnow told The Post Monday at Roger Dean Stadium. “I’m sure it will be something special.’’
Of course this is only controversial for New York media people who view baseball players as villains and heroes, with Clemens the former and Jeter the latter. Jeter played with Clemens for six seasons and won two World Series titles with him, so it makes perfect sense that he’d play a big part. As might Andy Pettitte, who lives in the Houston area and played for both the Astros and Yankees.
But, because certain segments of the New York media have decided that Jeter is the anti-PED Superman, it makes Clemens taking part in this a thing. When it shouldn’t be a thing at all.
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 10
- Video: Watch Kris Bryant get his first major league hit and RBI 8
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 32
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 55
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 28
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 26
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 48
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)