Mar 4, 2014, 7:00 AM EDT
TAMPA — I made a miscalculation in schedule and did not realize that both the Phillies and the Yankees are playing night games rather than day games today. That means the closest team with a day game to me is (a) 75 miles away; and (b) is the Atlanta Braves, who play the Nationals at 1pm this afternoon.
I haven’t actively tried to avoid the Braves while I’m down here, but I have thought that it might be OK if I miss them. Partially because I was just at Disney World in December and I wouldn’t mind avoiding it out of principle, partially because the Braves are my team. I like to see my team, of course, but I do wonder how I’ll approach the job today given that I’ll be in their clubhouse and press box and stuff. I’m not the sort who will cheer in the press box — that’s the ultimate reporter no-no — but I don wonder if I can refrain from bitching in the press box. Like, if Fredi Gonzalez bunts in the second inning of a 0-0 spring training game, will I be able to refrain from grumbling at him?
Well, I suppose we’ll see. Check back later today for that. And follow me on Twitter during the game. I may have to use that as an outlet.
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 16
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 11
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 182
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 34
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 87
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (183)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)