There’s no cheering in the press box

Mar 4, 2014, 7:00 AM EDT

Image (1) braves%20logo.gif for post 3603

TAMPA — I made a miscalculation in schedule and did not realize that both the Phillies and the Yankees are playing night games rather than day games today. That means the closest team with a day game to me is (a) 75 miles away; and (b) is the Atlanta Braves, who play the Nationals at 1pm this afternoon.

I haven’t actively tried to avoid the Braves while I’m down here, but I have thought that it might be OK if I miss them. Partially because I was just at Disney World in December and I wouldn’t mind avoiding it out of principle, partially because the Braves are my team. I like to see my team, of course, but I do wonder how I’ll approach the job today given that I’ll be in their clubhouse and press box and stuff. I’m not the sort who will cheer in the press box — that’s the ultimate reporter no-no — but I don wonder if I can refrain from bitching in the press box. Like, if Fredi Gonzalez bunts in the second inning of a 0-0 spring training game, will I be able to refrain from grumbling at him?

Well, I suppose we’ll see. Check back later today for that. And follow me on Twitter during the game. I may have to use that as an outlet.

1. Kevin S. - Mar 4, 2014 at 7:06 AM

Real reporters bitch about strategy on Twitter all the time. Go for it, Craig.

• jcmeyer10 - Mar 4, 2014 at 8:57 AM

Awww, our little blogger is growing upppp

2. NatsLady - Mar 4, 2014 at 7:08 AM

Be objective. Let me know how Stras looks because the game won’t be on TV and we only get an ATL feed. The ATL feed for the 16-15 game was, well, interesting.

• raysfan1 - Mar 4, 2014 at 9:56 AM

Well, for starters, he’s tall, lanky, and has light brown hair.

3. larrymahnken - Mar 4, 2014 at 7:57 AM

Yes, you’re allowed to bitch in the press box.

• asimonetti88 - Mar 4, 2014 at 11:10 AM

Only about how steroids ruined baseball though.

4. historiophiliac - Mar 4, 2014 at 8:28 AM

Don’t be such a conformist, Craig. You don’t have to follow all their unwritten rules. Be Puig, man. Be Puig.

• NatsLady - Mar 4, 2014 at 9:03 AM

Yeah, and what’s he gonna do when the Barves play the Tigers, I want to know.

• Craig Calcaterra - Mar 4, 2014 at 9:11 AM

Barves > Tigers 100% of the time. My girlfriend knows and understands this.

• historiophiliac - Mar 4, 2014 at 9:57 AM

They already played. We won. :)

5. unclemosesgreen - Mar 4, 2014 at 8:49 AM

Bloggers just don’t know how to play the press box game the Right Way.

6. chip56 - Mar 4, 2014 at 9:09 AM

It would give you the opportunity to ask any of the Atlanta front office people if they feel bad about screwing over the city of Atlanta with their new stadium deal.

• unclemosesgreen - Mar 4, 2014 at 9:42 AM

Whenever they’re done swimming through piles of $100 bills they will remain unavailable to comment on this.

7. theebbandflow - Mar 4, 2014 at 9:32 AM

Out of interest, what do reporters do other than tap away on their laptops and keeping an eye on the game? Is there loads of chatter or is it really studious and quiet?

• NatsLady - Mar 4, 2014 at 9:35 AM

Ha! Apparently, during the 16-15 game, Charlie & Dave (Nats radio announcers) were studiously studying stats to prepare for future games, while the ATL announcers were trolling the DC fanbase.

8. babyfarkmcgeezax - Mar 4, 2014 at 10:04 AM

“I’m not the sort who will cheer in the press box — that’s the ultimate reporter no-no”

Wait a minute. Every time you are rightfully called out when you don’t uphold the standards of American sports journalism, people come to your defense by saying you’re not a reporter, but a blogger. You’ve even made a point to make that distinction in the past as well. If that is the case, why would you have a problem cheering in the press box if it is “the ultimate reporter no-no” and you’re not a reporter? Or are you only going to the press box because you think you might find your popcorn there?

• Francisco (FC) - Mar 4, 2014 at 10:39 AM

He’s undercover.

9. sportsdrenched - Mar 4, 2014 at 10:22 AM

I was kicking around on whether to listen to this game, or the Tigers-Pirates today in the early slot. Guess I’ll start with this one.

While none of these games count I like the exhibition season. You get a double header every weekday. It’s like an NFL Sunday. An early game in Florida, and a late game in Arizona. Which will be even better next week because after the time change you’ll be able to listen to all of the early game before switching to the late game.

10. angrytwitterguy - Mar 4, 2014 at 11:39 AM

No cheering in the press box but CNN and FOX can barely contain themselves depending on the story.

Anyone remember when Walter Cronkite would just read news and you had no idea how he felt about it?

Probably not, I’m just old.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2782)