Mar 5, 2014, 2:10 PM EDT
CLEARWATER — There was a moving ceremony before today’s Braves-Phillies game honoring the late Jim Fregosi.
Fregosi, the former Phillies manager and a long-time scout and executive with the Braves, died last month following a stroke. Today, however, was a day of fond and often funny remembrance, with Phillies and Braves officials remembering a loud, opinionated but eminently respected and unquestionably loved friend and colleague.
Fregosi’s family and former teammates and players participated in the ceremony. In a nice touch, each of the uniforms worn by Fregosi during his playing, managing and coaching careers were worn by someone who played with or for Fregosi. Kent Tekulve wore a late-70s Pirates pinstripe. Darren Daulton — himself looking good following cancer surgery — wore an early 90s-Phillies uniform. Braves hitting coach Greg Walker wore an early-80s White Sox ensemble, etc.:
They left the seat he’d sit in behind home plate when scouting empty today, but for his cap, placed there by Braves GM Frank Wren. They left a table in the media/scout dining room empty, with a black table cloth and a photo of Fregosi.
Sometimes tributes are overwrought or overthought. This one struck all the right notes. It was beautiful in its simplicity and its thoughtfulness.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 29
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 8
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8
- Brandon Belt headed to disabled list with concussion 5
- Cardinals are interested in David Price, but “would want a financial commitment” from him 47
- Blue Jays, Giants “taking their best shot” at Chase Utley 19
- Baseball is dying, you guys (148)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Watch Derek Jeter tell Joe Buck to get the heck out of the clubhouse (91)
- Adam Wainwright follows the rules and pays the price (90)
- The Astros did not sign number one overall pick Brady Aiken. This is a big deal. (90)