Mar 5, 2014, 2:10 PM EST
CLEARWATER — There was a moving ceremony before today’s Braves-Phillies game honoring the late Jim Fregosi.
Fregosi, the former Phillies manager and a long-time scout and executive with the Braves, died last month following a stroke. Today, however, was a day of fond and often funny remembrance, with Phillies and Braves officials remembering a loud, opinionated but eminently respected and unquestionably loved friend and colleague.
Fregosi’s family and former teammates and players participated in the ceremony. In a nice touch, each of the uniforms worn by Fregosi during his playing, managing and coaching careers were worn by someone who played with or for Fregosi. Kent Tekulve wore a late-70s Pirates pinstripe. Darren Daulton — himself looking good following cancer surgery — wore an early 90s-Phillies uniform. Braves hitting coach Greg Walker wore an early-80s White Sox ensemble, etc.:
They left the seat he’d sit in behind home plate when scouting empty today, but for his cap, placed there by Braves GM Frank Wren. They left a table in the media/scout dining room empty, with a black table cloth and a photo of Fregosi.
Sometimes tributes are overwrought or overthought. This one struck all the right notes. It was beautiful in its simplicity and its thoughtfulness.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 3
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 293
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (295)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)