Mar 5, 2014, 9:23 PM EDT
Manny Machado continues making steady progress in his recovery from October 14, 2013 knee surgery.
Danny Connolly of the Baltimore Sun reports that Machado took side-to-side soft-toss grounders on Wednesday afternoon in Orioles camp without experiencing any issues. It was his first time doing lateral-movement drills since going under the knife.
Machado also had a mole removed from his back on Wednesday. That procedure went according to plan.
The Orioles are still holding out hope that their 21-year-old third baseman will be ready for the opening of the 2014 regular season. Machado batted .283/.314/.432 with an American League-leading 51 doubles in 156 games last summer for Baltimore.
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 85
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 16
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 22
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 108
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 15