Mar 5, 2014, 9:23 PM EDT
Manny Machado continues making steady progress in his recovery from October 14, 2013 knee surgery.
Danny Connolly of the Baltimore Sun reports that Machado took side-to-side soft-toss grounders on Wednesday afternoon in Orioles camp without experiencing any issues. It was his first time doing lateral-movement drills since going under the knife.
Machado also had a mole removed from his back on Wednesday. That procedure went according to plan.
The Orioles are still holding out hope that their 21-year-old third baseman will be ready for the opening of the 2014 regular season. Machado batted .283/.314/.432 with an American League-leading 51 doubles in 156 games last summer for Baltimore.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 25
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 17
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 45
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)