Mar 5, 2014, 9:23 PM EDT
Manny Machado continues making steady progress in his recovery from October 14, 2013 knee surgery.
Danny Connolly of the Baltimore Sun reports that Machado took side-to-side soft-toss grounders on Wednesday afternoon in Orioles camp without experiencing any issues. It was his first time doing lateral-movement drills since going under the knife.
Machado also had a mole removed from his back on Wednesday. That procedure went according to plan.
The Orioles are still holding out hope that their 21-year-old third baseman will be ready for the opening of the 2014 regular season. Machado batted .283/.314/.432 with an American League-leading 51 doubles in 156 games last summer for Baltimore.
- HardballTalk’s Top 150 Free Agents for 2015 8
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game 61
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 29
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 96
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 18
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 80
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 10
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 93
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (281)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)