Mar 5, 2014, 8:18 PM EST
Reds right-hander Mat Latos needed surgery in early February for a torn meniscus in his left knee and has yet to appear in a Cactus League game. But he took a significant step forward on Wednesday in camp:
Mat Latos threw off of the mound for the first time since his left knee surgery on Feb. 14 to repair a meniscus tear. Latos threw 20 pitches, including five changeups. The rest, he said, were two-seam and four-seam fastballs.
That report comes from MLB.com’s Mark Sheldon.
“Everything feels fantastic,” Latos told Sheldon shortly after the workout. “I expected a little bit of soreness while I was throwing or to feel it once or twice. … I let go for the last one and cut it loose and didn’t feel anything in the knee or the elbow. That’s a plus.”
Latos seems unlikely to pitch on Opening Day (March 31 against the Cardinals) but he should be ready by the first or second week of April. The 26-year-old registered a 3.16 ERA, 1.21 WHIP, and 187 strikeouts in 210 2/3 innings last season for Cincinnati. He is eligible to become a free agent after the 2015 campaign.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)