Mar 5, 2014, 7:05 PM EDT
Troubling news Wednesday out of Cardinals camp.
Jenifer Langosch of MLB.com reports that Peter Bourjos has been held out of Grapefruit League action since Sunday because of what’s being called a “tight leg.” Bourjos has already been ruled out for Thursday’s Grapefruit League tilt with the Twins and it’s not clear when he might be cleared to return.
Bourjos dealt with chronic hamstring issues at the end of his tenure with the Angels. And his game, which is very defense and speed oriented, relies heavily on his legs being in good health. So this situation is more worrisome than a typical complaint of early-spring soreness.
The Cardinals acquired Bourjos and outfield prospect Randal Grichuk this winter from the Angels for third baseman David Freese and right-hander Fernando Salas. Bourjos is expected to serve as the primary center fielder this year in St. Louis. Jon Jay, a far weaker defender, is the Cards’ current backup option.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 63
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (111)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)