Mar 5, 2014, 7:05 PM EDT
Troubling news Wednesday out of Cardinals camp.
Jenifer Langosch of MLB.com reports that Peter Bourjos has been held out of Grapefruit League action since Sunday because of what’s being called a “tight leg.” Bourjos has already been ruled out for Thursday’s Grapefruit League tilt with the Twins and it’s not clear when he might be cleared to return.
Bourjos dealt with chronic hamstring issues at the end of his tenure with the Angels. And his game, which is very defense and speed oriented, relies heavily on his legs being in good health. So this situation is more worrisome than a typical complaint of early-spring soreness.
The Cardinals acquired Bourjos and outfield prospect Randal Grichuk this winter from the Angels for third baseman David Freese and right-hander Fernando Salas. Bourjos is expected to serve as the primary center fielder this year in St. Louis. Jon Jay, a far weaker defender, is the Cards’ current backup option.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 13
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 22
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 22
- Jenrry Mejia gets 162-game ban for second failed PED test 43
- Nationals, Phillies agree to Jonathan Papelbon trade 63
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process 76
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s 92
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)