Joe Saunders gets major league deal from Rangers

Mar 5, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT

Joe Saunders AP AP

UPDATE: It’s a done deal, with a slight surprise: Saunders is getting a major-league contract. That means he’s got a 40-man roster spot and, barring something unforeseen, will be on the Opening Day roster.

==========

Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News reports that the Rangers are close to a deal with free agent left-hander Joe Saunders.

Last offseason Seattle deemed Saunders worthy of a $6.5 million investment, but he was awful for the Mariners with a 5.26 ERA and .311 opponents’ batting average in 32 starts at age 32.

Prior to last year Saunders was generally a decent third or fourth starter, eating innings with an ERA right around league average, so this close to Opening Day he’s a nice, cheap depth pickup for the Rangers with Derek Holland and Matt Harrison hurting.

1. proudlycanadian - Mar 4, 2014 at 5:44 PM

An OK signing under the circumstances. He is certainly much cheaper than Ervin Santana.

2. beefytrout - Mar 4, 2014 at 5:46 PM

Great… another “me first!” sleazeball move by that egomaniac Jon Daniels.

• justinwolf13 - Mar 5, 2014 at 12:25 PM

LazyLightning is chomping at the bit trying to come up with a good response beefy…
      btw, hope it plays out! Wish we could have gotten Johan, Ervin is not worth the money I dont think..i like the Saunders pick up though. CANT WAIT FOR APRIL 1st!!

• justinwolf13 - Mar 5, 2014 at 12:27 PM

plus adding another Lefty never hurts

• Jonestein - Mar 5, 2014 at 2:00 PM

Thumbs Up :D

• rob662013 - Mar 6, 2014 at 11:55 AM

Is this Ian Kinsler?

• beefytrout - Mar 6, 2014 at 7:18 PM

That was taken out of context.

3. dirtyharry1971 - Mar 4, 2014 at 6:21 PM

the jays should have jumped all over this guy, he would fit in perfectly

• proudlycanadian - Mar 4, 2014 at 6:26 PM

Hi Harry. Dug yourself out of the snow yet?

• dirtyharry1971 - Mar 5, 2014 at 7:32 AM

stayed south of us junior, nothing to dig out

• happytwinsfan - Mar 4, 2014 at 8:21 PM

the yankee staff, except for tanaka is getting long in the tooth. they could probably use saunders for the depth they’ll probably need.

• dirtyharry1971 - Mar 5, 2014 at 7:27 PM

Oh really? lets examine that statement shall we?

1 Tanaka will be 26 in Nov
        2 Nova just turned 26 in jan
        3. CC will turn 34 in july
        4. Phelps will turn 28 in nov
        5. Kuroda just turned 39
        6. Pineda just turned 25

That’s 4 guys under 30 and you are calling that old? As usual…Wrong again!

4. leylandshospicenurse - Mar 5, 2014 at 10:33 AM

What does this mean for Hanson?

5. mattinglyschmidt - Mar 5, 2014 at 10:41 AM

Long in the tooth? I hope my sarcasm-meter is just broken, but Sabathia is 33, and Tanaka, Nova and (possibly) Pineda are all 25-26. The only one applying for AARP is Kuroda.

6. alongthegulf - Mar 5, 2014 at 11:25 AM

I think Rangers fans are seeing the difference between the Nolan Ryan era versus the Jon Daniels era. Nolan put a premium of pitching. Daniels doesn’t.

• justinwolf13 - Mar 5, 2014 at 12:23 PM

there would be no “nolan ryan era” without JD.
      Ryan was a face, the ONLY thing he did was make the pitchers go at least 7 unless they were getting rocked or were really hurt. IM A HUGE NOLAN RYAN FAN but stop trying to make it sound as if Nolan Ryan ran the team, he just didnt.

• hardjudge - Mar 5, 2014 at 1:27 PM

Justin, I guess we will see about that in a couple of years when the Astros with Nolan at the stealth helm, pass the “me first” Jon Daniels led Rangers. Its a shame ownership sided with Daniels.

• justinwolf13 - Mar 5, 2014 at 1:52 PM

all you people who gave me a thumbs down, tell me what Nolan did for the team, who he brought in, who he scouted, who he drafted…please tell me! Nolan Ryan is my hero, but some people just dont know crap about baseball and just assume because a guy cast a big shadow that hes the one doing all the shot calling…and he wasnt!

as for the Lastros go, if you remember he was already the “special assistant to the GM” back in early 2000′s and also, I am interested in seeing who runs the team, Reid or Nolan since. It will be Reid, but Nolan will get the credit because of his name. Dont get me wrong i love the man, i hated to HATED to see him leave texas and it is a shame they “sided” with JD, but facts are facts, JD built the team. Him and Theo Epstein are cut from the same mold

• Jonestein - Mar 5, 2014 at 2:24 PM

Yeah, here’s the thing: The Astros have nowhere to go but up considering the laughing stock they’ve been for the last several years. They were already on the right track when Jeff Luhnow and co. were brought in and will eventually be good whether The Legend is there or not. Nolan worshippers will, of course, give him all the credit and start making disparaging remarks about Luhnow and his “stathead staff” the second anyone suggests otherwise.

I hated to see Nolan leave the Rangers. I thiink he had a positive effect on the pitching staff and roster that JON DANIELS assembled. I’ve said it before – this whole JD vs. Nolan farce is a concoction of certain DFW media twits which gets spread like a virus amongst their gullible, useful idiot-infested readership.

• beefytrout - Mar 5, 2014 at 6:59 PM

I’d like one person who disagrees with “the ownership siding with Daniels” explain to me why they think ownership did that in the first place. Because I just don’t see how or why JD ends up the bad guy here.

Managers get easier path to Cooperstown
  1. H. Street (4051)