Mar 5, 2014, 7:30 AM EDT
Wow, that escalated quickly. Ian Kinsler certainly stepped in it yesterday, but it’s nor more of a faux pas than you see a handful of times a year. A guy talking smack about his old team and old boss. It happens and it usually blows over pretty quickly.
But Gerry Fraley of the Dallas Morning News weighed in on Ian Kinsler in Twitter last night, casting him in more stark terms than one might expect:
I’ve never spoken to Kinsler and haven’t talked in an in-depth way with anyone who has covered him closely. But man, “too close to call” with A-Rod on the self-absorption scale?
Is the fact that this isn’t a widespread take on Kinsler a function of Fraley having a singular and non-representative view of Kinsler? Of everyone thinking that but, unlike in New York, the Texas press corps not making a big point of reporting that sort of thing all the time? Or is it part of the same dynamic which gives us A-Rod coverage: reporters making character judgments with less-than-perfect information?
Either way, kinda surprising, really.
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 3
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 20
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 26
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 17
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Tigers acquire closer Joakim Soria from the Rangers 59
- Phillies officials “have contemplated the possibility of paying off” and releasing Ryan Howard 43
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)