Mar 5, 2014, 6:12 PM EDT
Zack Greinke has already been ruled out for the Dodgers’ season-opening series in Sydney, Australia (March 22-23) due to a mild right calf strain that he suffered on the second-to-last day of February.
But the right-hander could be ready to rock for the club’s first game back in the United States.
According to MLB.com’s Ken Gurnick, Greinke threw off a mound Wednesday afternoon in Dodgers camp for the first time since leaving his Cactus League debut with that strained calf. Greinke is scheduled to throw off a mound again on Thursday and could return to the Dodgers’ spring rotation next week.
Greinke, who made it known last month that he was not excited for the Dodgers’ Australian trip, will presumably be a candidate to pitch March 30 in San Diego. That’s the Padres’ regular-season opener.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 141
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 66
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (159)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)