Mar 6, 2014, 2:32 PM EDT
Bob Nightengale spoke with Albert Pujols and Pujols mentioned a question someone asked him early in spring training. The question: “are you motivated to put up the same numbers as Mike Trout?” Pujols, remembering it and obviously still mad, went off:
“Can you imagine someone saying that to me?” Pujols tells USA TODAY Sports in recalling the question from a reporter. “I felt like saying, ‘Come on, are you serious? Are you really asking me that? Check out my numbers. I know what Mike Trout has done in his first two years is pretty special, but will you look at my numbers. I’ve been doing this for almost 14 years.’
“The only guy in baseball who can match the numbers I’ve put up is Barry Bonds, and someone is actually asking if I can put up numbers like Mike Trout?
“Are you freaking kidding me?”
Well, no. It’s not about what you’ve done, dude. It’s about what you can do. And I don’t think it’s crazy to think that Trout will have better numbers than Pujols going forward for the rest of Pujols’ career.
Maybe that’s not the best way to couch that kind of question to a veteran — and maybe Pujols bristling is a good sign with respect to his motivation to do better than he has the past couple of years — but he’s no more the straw that stirs the drink in Anaheim than Barry Bonds still is in San Francisco.
OK, maybe a little more. He’s still playing after all. But that’s Mike Trout’s team now.
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 112
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 30
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 40
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 43
- Mariners extend general manager Jack Zduriencik’s contract 14
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (120)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (100)