Mar 6, 2014, 10:15 AM EST
Bronson Arroyo‘s durability was his primary selling point as a 37-year-old free agent, but his stint with the Diamondbacks has started with an injury.
Steve Gilbert of MLB.com reports that Arroyo has a bulging disk in his back and is expected to be out for 7-10 days. He was scratched from Tuesday’s scheduled start and sent for an MRI exam, followed by an epidural.
Arroyo, who talked publicly in the middle of the offseason about not receiving any offers from teams, ended up signing a two-year, $23.5 million deal with Arizona. Gilbert notes that Arroyo had a similar issue in 2011 and he ended up starting 32 games and throwing 199 innings, which is actually his only season with fewer than 200 innings since 2004.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 40
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 19
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 4
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 2
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 359
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (360)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (76)