Mar 6, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
Bronson Arroyo‘s durability was his primary selling point as a 37-year-old free agent, but his stint with the Diamondbacks has started with an injury.
Steve Gilbert of MLB.com reports that Arroyo has a bulging disk in his back and is expected to be out for 7-10 days. He was scratched from Tuesday’s scheduled start and sent for an MRI exam, followed by an epidural.
Arroyo, who talked publicly in the middle of the offseason about not receiving any offers from teams, ended up signing a two-year, $23.5 million deal with Arizona. Gilbert notes that Arroyo had a similar issue in 2011 and he ended up starting 32 games and throwing 199 innings, which is actually his only season with fewer than 200 innings since 2004.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 0
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 28
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 105
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 56
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (105)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (80)