Mar 6, 2014, 10:20 PM EDT
It was originally thought that Padres outfielder Cameron Maybin would be lost for 2-3 months after he suffered a torn left biceps tendon while making a diving catch Sunday, but there’s a chance he could be back sooner.
According to Corey Brock of MLB.com, Padres general manager Josh Byrnes said that Maybin opted against surgery after seeing team doctors today. As a result, it’s now possible that he could return sooner than two months.
“Our doctors saw his diagnostics and talked to Cam and decided [recovery] will be healing and the rehab route before we get him back to activity.
“But the strong consensus was no surgery.”
Byrnes said it’s still too soon to know a timeline for Maybin’s return, though it could be as soon as four to six weeks, he said.
Excellent news for someone who was limited to just 14 games last season due to wrist and knee injuries.
The Padres will likely give Will Venable most of the playing time in center field with Maybin sidelined, though Alexi Amarista and Reymond Fuentes could also figure in. Seth Smith, Chris Denorfia, Carlos Quentin, and Kyle Blanks figure to handle the corner outfield spots.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 50
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)