Mar 6, 2014, 7:11 PM EDT
Earlier this week, Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson named left-hander Patrick Corbin and right-hander Trevor Cahill as his starters for the upcoming two-game season opening series in Australia from March 22-23. The Dodgers have yet to make an official announcement on their starters for the series, but Ken Gurnick of MLB.com writes that things are starting to line up:
It will be Lee’s first start of the Spring after being slowed by a strained lat muscle.
Manager Don Mattingly won’t confirm any of his plans, but he has told the pitchers their roles.
Mattingly has been coy about the situation until now, leading to some speculation that the Dodgers would hold out on using Kershaw until they return home, but this is the most logical pairing with Zack Greinke working his way back from a calf injury and Josh Beckett slowly building his workload after thoracic outlet surgery. The Dodgers will likely bring Dan Haren on the trip as insurance for Kershaw and Ryu, but assuming he isn’t needed during the series, he would have a pretty long layoff between his final spring training outing and his season debut.
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 1
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 12
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 47
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 73
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 42
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 217
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (217)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)