Mar 6, 2014, 7:11 PM EST
Earlier this week, Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson named left-hander Patrick Corbin and right-hander Trevor Cahill as his starters for the upcoming two-game season opening series in Australia from March 22-23. The Dodgers have yet to make an official announcement on their starters for the series, but Ken Gurnick of MLB.com writes that things are starting to line up:
It will be Lee’s first start of the Spring after being slowed by a strained lat muscle.
Manager Don Mattingly won’t confirm any of his plans, but he has told the pitchers their roles.
Mattingly has been coy about the situation until now, leading to some speculation that the Dodgers would hold out on using Kershaw until they return home, but this is the most logical pairing with Zack Greinke working his way back from a calf injury and Josh Beckett slowly building his workload after thoracic outlet surgery. The Dodgers will likely bring Dan Haren on the trip as insurance for Kershaw and Ryu, but assuming he isn’t needed during the series, he would have a pretty long layoff between his final spring training outing and his season debut.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)