Mar 6, 2014, 7:11 PM EDT
Earlier this week, Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson named left-hander Patrick Corbin and right-hander Trevor Cahill as his starters for the upcoming two-game season opening series in Australia from March 22-23. The Dodgers have yet to make an official announcement on their starters for the series, but Ken Gurnick of MLB.com writes that things are starting to line up:
It will be Lee’s first start of the Spring after being slowed by a strained lat muscle.
Manager Don Mattingly won’t confirm any of his plans, but he has told the pitchers their roles.
Mattingly has been coy about the situation until now, leading to some speculation that the Dodgers would hold out on using Kershaw until they return home, but this is the most logical pairing with Zack Greinke working his way back from a calf injury and Josh Beckett slowly building his workload after thoracic outlet surgery. The Dodgers will likely bring Dan Haren on the trip as insurance for Kershaw and Ryu, but assuming he isn’t needed during the series, he would have a pretty long layoff between his final spring training outing and his season debut.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 9
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 27
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 100
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (109)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)