Clint Hurdle is all out of bubblegum

Mar 6, 2014, 11:51 AM EDT

Clint Hurdle

BRADENTON — It’s raining harder now, and someone just told me that they’ve issued a tornado watch for the area. Yet they still haven’t banged the game. Crazy, but it’s their ballpark. They can do what they want.

The Pirates did, however, open their clubhouse to the media at 11am, maybe because everyone knows that there won’t be a postgame session today. I didn’t have anyone specific I wanted to talk to on the Pirates, so I went over. I didn’t talk to anyone, but man, I’m sure glad I did.

Why? Because on the wall of Clint Hurdle’s office is a poster with a painting of Roddy Piper from “They Live” on it, and the words “I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass… and I’m all out of bubblegum.” It’s all stylized to look like a Big League Chew package. I searched for it desperately online a bit ago, but I couldn’t find it. I assume it’s a custom job. Whatever it is, it is the single best thing I’ve seen in a manager’s office, bar none. I wish Clint was made available for the press, because I wanted to hug him more than anything in the world just now.

UPDATE: Reader dremmel69 found it. Here it is. This is where it came from.

source:

Otherwise? A lot of ballplayers playing cards, eating lunch and clearly waiting for them to call this game. Even if I wanted to talk to them I couldn’t do so easily, as someone had country music blaring louder than you’ve ever heard. Really, you could hardly hear yourself think. I don’t know who it is, but I have this feeling that he’s buddies with the guy who parked this thing outside of the Pirate City complex this morning:

source:

It’s not Grant Balfour’s ride, but it’s pretty impressive.

That’s all I got from Bradenton today. As soon as this game is called, I’m getting on the road to Ft. Myers for tomorrow’s Red Sox game at Jet Blue Park. Here’s hoping we get sun.

1. jonmarkbarre - Mar 6, 2014 at 11:55 AM

lol thas casey sadlers

• apkyletexas - Mar 6, 2014 at 1:58 PM

I was thinking Kenny Powers. Did anyone check to see if the doors swing open upward?

2. rollinghighwayblues - Mar 6, 2014 at 11:56 AM

Quotes such as “and I’m all out of bubblegum” remind me of only one thing:

• rocketsteadman - Mar 6, 2014 at 12:12 PM

There’s also this gem.

• tfbuckfutter - Mar 6, 2014 at 1:25 PM

Alright alright alright.

3. karlkolchak - Mar 6, 2014 at 12:01 PM

Obviously, the owner of that truck never watched “They Live,” or if he did, the movie’s anti-counsumerist message went right over his head.

• historiophiliac - Mar 6, 2014 at 1:03 PM

Maybe it runs on the tears of minor leaguers.

• moogro - Mar 7, 2014 at 5:37 PM

L.E.D. lightbars look wimpy and are for wimps.

4. historiophiliac - Mar 6, 2014 at 1:02 PM

I’m assuming ballplayers playing card means one of Craig’s communist plots is afoot (or, if you’re Canadian: “afoot”). Also, the loud country music must certainly mean that Joe West was set to officiate this game — and probably why it took so long to “bang” it.

• raysfan1 - Mar 6, 2014 at 1:57 PM

Had to laugh at the aside that a Canadian would say “afoot” as opposed to…ummmm…”afoot.”

• historiophiliac - Mar 6, 2014 at 2:22 PM

Dang you, Craig, for changing it to cards! Bah.

5. dremmel69 - Mar 6, 2014 at 1:12 PM

From the Hot Rod Art Collection:

6. lukedunphysscienceproject - Mar 6, 2014 at 1:38 PM

Ok, I’ll say it. You couldn’t take a picture of the painting on Hurdle’s wall?

• Craig Calcaterra - Mar 6, 2014 at 2:13 PM

No photos allowed in the clubhouse. They’ll yank your credential for that.

• lukedunphysscienceproject - Mar 6, 2014 at 2:16 PM

Got it. Too bad, sounds epic.

• tfbuckfutter - Mar 6, 2014 at 2:57 PM

If they yanked your man card you could just borrow one of the 10 that guy who owns that truck has.

7. gostlcards5 - Mar 6, 2014 at 1:55 PM

That’s great….love Clint Hurdle. He’s awesome.

8. randygnyc - Mar 6, 2014 at 1:59 PM

Wait, you posted a picture of a truck and not the poster? WTH?!?!?

• Craig Calcaterra - Mar 6, 2014 at 2:14 PM

Truck was outside. The poster was in the clubhouse. No photos allowed in the clubhouse.

9. plmathfoto - Mar 6, 2014 at 2:05 PM

Take the time to talk to Clint Hurdle. He’s hilarious…and knowledgeable. He ran the Fantasy Baseball camp I went to in 2002, spent a lot of time with and around him..

10. susanscott1 - Mar 6, 2014 at 3:51 PM

Reblogged this on susanscott1 and commented:
    Love this man!

11. moogro - Mar 7, 2014 at 5:38 PM

Big league chew is a gateway drug.

Three legends off to Cooperstown