There ain’t gonna be no baseball in Bradenton today

Mar 6, 2014, 9:38 AM EDT

BRADENTON — I thought the day was going to go better than this. I woke up and, magically, the R key on my keyboard was working again and all was right with the world. Then I saw this:

source:

That little marker is where I’m sitting in McKechnie Field right now and that stuff to the left is a baseball game-banging storm.

Which, in case you don’t follow a lot of baseball writers on Twitter or if you’ve never been in a press box, is a term you don’t hear very often. “Bang.” As in “looks like rain, are they going to bang this game?” and “Just heard, they’re banging this one. They’ll make it up with a doubleheader tomorrow.” It’s one of my favorite things because, again, I am 12 years-old. It really stinks that a big storm is coming and that we likely won’t have baseball today, but I’ve gotten to say “bang” about 20 times in the past half hour and that’s almost worth it.

I’ll do a post later with the few photos and thoughts about this place I gathered before the deluge, but it looks like my afternoon is going to be more about booking down to Ft. Myers for tomorrow’s Red Sox game than it is about baseball today. Oh well.

1. gbfb88 - Mar 6, 2014 at 9:53 AM

Is anyone else disappointed that his keyboard is fully functional, again? I was looking forward to the decrease in horribly written posts.

• babyfarkmcgeezax - Mar 6, 2014 at 9:59 AM

It is a crying shame that Craig was able to overcome that keyboard roadblock and return to his assault on the standards of American journalism.

• historiophiliac - Mar 6, 2014 at 10:16 AM

If only your keyboard would refuse to enable your babyfarking…

• NatsLady - Mar 6, 2014 at 10:40 AM

Mystifies me why people who don’t like the way Craig posts click on his posts. Ah, the Internetz.

• babyfarkmcgeezax - Mar 6, 2014 at 11:57 AM

Mystifies me how quickly NatsLady disappeared last year after it was clear the Nats weren’t living up to her constant lofty boasts.

2. rockthered1286 - Mar 6, 2014 at 10:00 AM

Craig take yourself a trip down the road to Mote Aquarium for the day. Always a nice rainy day activity and maybe a half hour out depending on where in Bradenton you are.

Worst case scenario hop over to AMI and have a “productive” day at The Beach House.

3. sportsdrenched - Mar 6, 2014 at 10:07 AM

Looks like the entire Grape Fruit League might get banged today.

4. themagicfanguy - Mar 6, 2014 at 10:20 AM

Welcome to Florida.

5. historiophiliac - Mar 6, 2014 at 10:27 AM

“Banged” makes no sense. Why isn’t it “bagged” — that has much more of a baseball connotation to it. Or just call it “washed.” If more sportswriters were women, it would be called “struck,” “rained out,” or something like that — certainly not “banged.” You have to have a long forehead to pull that look off.

6. sdelmonte - Mar 6, 2014 at 10:46 AM

I say that you should have attempted to compose blog posts all day without use of that pesky key. Call it a challenge of limited composition. I know people who take that path in a method to expand their skills.

Just don’t attempt that without the S key.

7. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Mar 6, 2014 at 10:47 AM

I was looking forward to seeing if Craig could push the limits of his vocabulary and write entire posts exclusively using words without the letter “r”

8. Craig Calcaterra - Mar 6, 2014 at 10:55 AM

It’s been done:

• rbj1 - Mar 6, 2014 at 2:26 PM

” In 1968, the novel entered the public domain in the United States due to failure to renew copyright in the 28th year after publication”

That’s because he could initially write “I want to copyright this book,” but “I want to r_n_w my copyright” didn’t work.

9. tfbuckfutter - Mar 6, 2014 at 11:11 AM

Ain’t going to be no baseball = Is going to be some baseball

Enjoy the baseball in Bradenton today, Craig.

10. penguins87and71 - Mar 6, 2014 at 11:35 AM

There ain’t going to be baseball anywhere in Florida today.

11. nsstlfan - Mar 6, 2014 at 12:56 PM

I for one likes Craig’s post. I enjoy reading all the posts on the baseball section. So Craig keep up the good work.

12. indaburg - Mar 6, 2014 at 1:01 PM

Your keyboard dried up. Luckily it wasn’t bourbon or some other liquid.

I’m getting extreme weather alerts on my phone. Watch out for tornadoes.

• historiophiliac - Mar 6, 2014 at 2:07 PM

If it had been rum, he’d probably have issues with the R’s rolling.

Three legends off to Cooperstown