Mar 6, 2014, 9:38 AM EST
BRADENTON — I thought the day was going to go better than this. I woke up and, magically, the R key on my keyboard was working again and all was right with the world. Then I saw this:
That little marker is where I’m sitting in McKechnie Field right now and that stuff to the left is a baseball game-banging storm.
Which, in case you don’t follow a lot of baseball writers on Twitter or if you’ve never been in a press box, is a term you don’t hear very often. “Bang.” As in “looks like rain, are they going to bang this game?” and “Just heard, they’re banging this one. They’ll make it up with a doubleheader tomorrow.” It’s one of my favorite things because, again, I am 12 years-old. It really stinks that a big storm is coming and that we likely won’t have baseball today, but I’ve gotten to say “bang” about 20 times in the past half hour and that’s almost worth it.
I’ll do a post later with the few photos and thoughts about this place I gathered before the deluge, but it looks like my afternoon is going to be more about booking down to Ft. Myers for tomorrow’s Red Sox game than it is about baseball today. Oh well.
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 290
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (290)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)