Mar 6, 2014, 9:38 AM EDT
BRADENTON — I thought the day was going to go better than this. I woke up and, magically, the R key on my keyboard was working again and all was right with the world. Then I saw this:
That little marker is where I’m sitting in McKechnie Field right now and that stuff to the left is a baseball game-banging storm.
Which, in case you don’t follow a lot of baseball writers on Twitter or if you’ve never been in a press box, is a term you don’t hear very often. “Bang.” As in “looks like rain, are they going to bang this game?” and “Just heard, they’re banging this one. They’ll make it up with a doubleheader tomorrow.” It’s one of my favorite things because, again, I am 12 years-old. It really stinks that a big storm is coming and that we likely won’t have baseball today, but I’ve gotten to say “bang” about 20 times in the past half hour and that’s almost worth it.
I’ll do a post later with the few photos and thoughts about this place I gathered before the deluge, but it looks like my afternoon is going to be more about booking down to Ft. Myers for tomorrow’s Red Sox game than it is about baseball today. Oh well.
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 7
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 81
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 75
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 72
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 59
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (81)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)