Mar 6, 2014, 8:20 PM EDT
Is this the real life? Is this just fantasy? You decide.
Baseball fans were provided with a heaping slice of awesomeness in this afternoon’s Cactus League matchup between the Dodgers and Angels, as Mike Trout‘s attempt at an inside-the-park home run was dashed thanks in part to a throw from Yasiel Puig.
In the bottom of the first inning, Trout scorched a line drive to center field off Dan Haren which landed beyond the reach of a diving Puig and bounced toward the outfield wall. After tracking the ball down, Puig made a strong throw to cut-off man Hanley Ramirez, who turned and threw to catcher A.J. Ellis just in time to nail a diving Trout at home plate.
Watch the video in all its glory below:
Angels manager Mike Scioscia immediately came out to challenge the play. However, while it was originally assumed that he was arguing that Trout’s hand touched home plate before Ellis’ tag, he was actually contesting whether the new home-plate collisions rule was being followed properly. Trout would have been awarded home plate if Ellis was found to be in violation of the rule, but the umpires found no wrong-doing after looking at the replay. According to Alden Gonzalez of MLB.com, the play at home was reviewed as a “crew-chief challenge,” so Scioscia didn’t use his challenge in the situation. Yes, this new system is going to take some getting used to.
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 1
- Wild Card Game: Giants vs. Pirates lineups 4
- The beauty of belief 36
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 40
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 75
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)