Mar 7, 2014, 11:20 PM EDT
Billy Hamilton hit .368 in 22 plate appearances in September last season, but some in the know say that Hamilton will struggle to hit in the Majors. In his first season against Triple-A competition last season, Hamilton hit .256 with a .308 on-base percentage and a .343 slugging percentage.
Hamilton’s signature has always been his ability to swipe bases. In the Minors, Hamilton stole 395 bases in 479 opportunities (82.5%). But if he’s not hitting enough to get on base, he won’t be stealing all that much. That’s why Hamilton is working on improving his bunting. Via Mark Sheldon for MLB.com:
On Wednesday vs. Dodgers left-hander Hyun-Jin Ryu, Hamilton push-bunted a ball past the first-base side of the mound. Ryu had no time to cover the bag after the first baseman fielded it, and in an act of futility, the second baseman scrambled for the bag. Hamilton was easily safe.
“If I do my job, I feel like I can get safe every time,” Hamilton said. “It’s just the point of getting it down and putting it in place. I have to realize I have to use my speed and don’t have to rush out of there. The main thing is getting the bunt down first, a perfect bunt.”
Hamilton is taking over for the Reds in center field and will bat in the lead-off spot. If he can get on base at a .310 clip and swipe second and even third with frequency, he will create plenty of RBI opportunities for those behind him in the lineup — including Joey Votto.
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 0
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 10
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 87
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 72
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (87)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (78)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)