Mar 7, 2014, 2:44 PM EDT
Reds second baseman Brandon Phillips isn’t talking to the Cincinnati media, but he’s willing to talk to the national media and willing to talk to the national media about why he’s not talking to the Cincinnati media.
Case in point, this Phillips quote to Anthony Castrovince of MLB.com:
I don’t have nothing to say to those cats. They know what the deal is. They just talk about how I was falling off and declining. How the [expletive] am I declining? I had 100 … ribbies last year. And I did that with one … hand. And I won a Gold Glove? So how the [expletive] am I declining? Come on, man.
Phillips noting that he played through an injury for much of last season is certainly valid, but it’s really not all that difficult to see why those pesky local media members think he’s been declining:
YEAR AVG OBP SLG OPS 2011 .300 .353 .457 .810 2012 .281 .321 .429 .750 2013 .261 .310 .396 .706
Unless, of course, you judge a hitter strictly on his RBI totals, which Phillips apparently does. In that case he’s [expletive] better than ever!
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 3
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 23
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 7
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 59
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 6
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 80
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (199)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (168)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)