Mar 7, 2014, 4:17 PM EST
Oliver Perez is one of the best unsigned free agents and Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com says that’s about to change, reporting that the left-handed reliever is close to a multi-year deal with the Diamondbacks.
Arizona had already invested an awful lot of resources into the bullpen even before bringing in Perez, who went from being a punchline with the Mets and being out of the majors in 2011 to thriving with the Mariners for the past two seasons.
In parts of two years with Seattle he threw 83 innings with a 3.16 ERA and 98/36 K/BB ratio, striking out 10.7 batters per nine innings. He’d be joining a bullpen that already includes Addison Reed, J.J. Putz, and David Hernandez in setup roles, plus plenty of other quality middle relief options.
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 22
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 76
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 48
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 18
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (76)