Mar 7, 2014, 4:17 PM EDT
Oliver Perez is one of the best unsigned free agents and Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com says that’s about to change, reporting that the left-handed reliever is close to a multi-year deal with the Diamondbacks.
Arizona had already invested an awful lot of resources into the bullpen even before bringing in Perez, who went from being a punchline with the Mets and being out of the majors in 2011 to thriving with the Mariners for the past two seasons.
In parts of two years with Seattle he threw 83 innings with a 3.16 ERA and 98/36 K/BB ratio, striking out 10.7 batters per nine innings. He’d be joining a bullpen that already includes Addison Reed, J.J. Putz, and David Hernandez in setup roles, plus plenty of other quality middle relief options.
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 6
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 77
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 79
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (88)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)