Mar 7, 2014, 4:17 PM EDT
Oliver Perez is one of the best unsigned free agents and Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com says that’s about to change, reporting that the left-handed reliever is close to a multi-year deal with the Diamondbacks.
Arizona had already invested an awful lot of resources into the bullpen even before bringing in Perez, who went from being a punchline with the Mets and being out of the majors in 2011 to thriving with the Mariners for the past two seasons.
In parts of two years with Seattle he threw 83 innings with a 3.16 ERA and 98/36 K/BB ratio, striking out 10.7 batters per nine innings. He’d be joining a bullpen that already includes Addison Reed, J.J. Putz, and David Hernandez in setup roles, plus plenty of other quality middle relief options.
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 0
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 43
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 46
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 37
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 36
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 90
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 8
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 98
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (195)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (104)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (98)