Mar 7, 2014, 4:17 PM EDT
Oliver Perez is one of the best unsigned free agents and Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com says that’s about to change, reporting that the left-handed reliever is close to a multi-year deal with the Diamondbacks.
Arizona had already invested an awful lot of resources into the bullpen even before bringing in Perez, who went from being a punchline with the Mets and being out of the majors in 2011 to thriving with the Mariners for the past two seasons.
In parts of two years with Seattle he threw 83 innings with a 3.16 ERA and 98/36 K/BB ratio, striking out 10.7 batters per nine innings. He’d be joining a bullpen that already includes Addison Reed, J.J. Putz, and David Hernandez in setup roles, plus plenty of other quality middle relief options.
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 0
- Breaking: The Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 84
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 63
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 76
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 76
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 74
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 49
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)