Doug Fister has a sore elbow

Mar 7, 2014, 11:19 AM EDT

Doug Fister Getty Getty Images

A whole lot of people said a whole lot of good things about the Nationals’ trade to acquire Doug Fister from the Tigers, but now there’s this: Fister was scratched from today’s scheduled start and sent for an MRI exam after complaining of elbow soreness.

No structural damage was found during the MRI exam and manager Matt Williams expressed a lot of optimism that it’ll prove to be a minor issue, which is currently being called “a little inflammation.”

Fister apparently told Williams that if this were the regular season he’d pitch through the discomfort, but for now he’ll take at least a few days off to rest.

1. halladaysbiceps - Mar 7, 2014 at 11:25 AM

I wrote something with that headline, but I then came to my senses and backspaced.

2. karlkolchak - Mar 7, 2014 at 11:45 AM

Nats beat reporter Mark Zuckerman pointed out that back in March of 2012, Drew Storen was reported as having elbow soreness in which an MRI showed a little inflammation but no structural damage, and he ended up missing over 3 months. So this report is not to be taken lightly.

3. mmason0071 - Mar 7, 2014 at 12:02 PM

Does anyone have stats on how often a little ‘sore elbow’ DOESN’T end up with TJ surgery?

4. NatsLady - Mar 7, 2014 at 12:36 PM

Man, if Dave Dombrowski put one over on Mike Rizzo there are going to be a lot of “Best/Worst trade in the Off-Season” blog writers that will look foolish.

Dougie, just rest your big self, and don’t turn into Edwin Jackson/Dan Haren/And-whoever-we-had-for-a-4th-starter-before-that!

• historiophiliac - Mar 7, 2014 at 1:09 PM

I doubt it was put-one-over-on, but I will take a fortunate-ending for us. I don’t remember him having any injuries last year. I hope it’s just a thing getting back in the groove. I want him to do well for you. Dog!

• Mark - Mar 7, 2014 at 6:57 PM

Doug Fister could miss the entire season and it would still be a horrible trade for Dombrowski. That’s how lousy the return was for Fister.

5. aceshigh11 - Mar 7, 2014 at 1:16 PM

Time to revisit the legendary Fister/Furbush trade?

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3026)