Hank the Dog has a home

Mar 7, 2014, 7:25 AM EDT

Hank the Dog AP

You’ve probably read about Hank the Dog, the Brewers’ unexpected spring training mascot who showed up as a stray at their camp in Maryvale. He’s been a big hit with the team and its fans, even racing in the sausage races last week while wearing a hot dog costume which, holy crap, is the cutest thing ever.

Well, be happy to know that Hank now has a permanent home:

There’s something about Hank the Brewers dog. Readers love him. But they can’t have him. Hank has a forever home.

The Milwaukee Brewers are being tight-lipped about whose home, but Hank’s days “as a stray are over,” said Tyler Barnes, Brewers vice president for communications. Hank remains in Phoenix, occasionally working out with the team at Maryvale Baseball Park.

I think it would be awesome if he was adopted by Ryan Braun. It would make my year to baseball writers try to make the adoption out as a cynical, calculated move that just further shows how awful a person Braun is.

1. Old Gator - Mar 7, 2014 at 8:00 AM

Must be nice to be a stray pooch in a town without pythons.

• jwbiii - Mar 7, 2014 at 10:29 AM

Coyotes do the job as well.

• Old Gator - Mar 7, 2014 at 11:13 AM

So I hear, and I also hear they’re getting more numerous and more aggressive, even in urban environments. I was coming out of a well-known Tucson tacqueria one day and we saw three of them fighting over something indiscernible by the dumpster behind the restaurant. Might even have been an alley cat once, At first I just figgered they were dogs, but then one stopped and looked directly at us. No mere dog, that – kind of a mangy, anorexic wolf.

Even so, in a faceoff between a coyote and a python, I take the python hands…uh…down.

2. halladaysbiceps - Mar 7, 2014 at 8:05 AM

I can’t believe I’m writing this, but that’s a cute little dog.

• proudlycanadian - Mar 7, 2014 at 9:18 AM

LOL! I can’t believe that you are writing this either. Well done.

• halladaysbiceps - Mar 7, 2014 at 9:28 AM

I’m becoming a softy. I need to have a few drinks to get my angry edge back today.

• proudlycanadian - Mar 7, 2014 at 9:51 AM

Stick to coffee.

3. Kevin S. - Mar 7, 2014 at 8:07 AM

How did this site not have a post of Hank racing with the sausages in a hot dog costume? Pics or I want my money back.

• brewcrewfan54 - Mar 7, 2014 at 8:36 AM

There’s video out there. Its pretty cool

• shaggylocks - Mar 7, 2014 at 2:39 PM

4. themanytoolsofignorance - Mar 7, 2014 at 8:07 AM

Stray dogs run my life. I’m forever grateful to anyone that takes one in so that I don’t feel compelled to do so.

• Old Gator - Mar 7, 2014 at 11:18 AM

Then you really have to explain to my wife how you turf them off effectively. She never met a stray she couldn’t fall in love with (me included). All five of our dogs are rescued from the street, including our odd Hemingway hound, Friendo – although, to be accurate, we were given Friendo in Key West by a gypsy with a broken flag and a flashing ring, who urged him upon us in swaddlings and insisted that he ain’t no dream this time but the real thing.

• themanytoolsofignorance - Mar 7, 2014 at 2:00 PM

Teach them to play with humans. Everyone wants a dog you can do stuff with. Most can be taught to at least fetch. If you have any sort of retriever or collie you’re made in the shade.

• Old Gator - Mar 7, 2014 at 3:39 PM

I wouldn’t even be able to begin to figure out how to teach my wife to play with humans. She’s gotten so used to playing with all of our dogs.

5. chill1184 - Mar 7, 2014 at 8:52 AM

Dogs are awesome

6. bigharold - Mar 7, 2014 at 10:12 AM

Generally we have at least two dogs in our home, not to mention the two rescued cats. I tell my wife that if a dog runs away from our house, we’ll we just need a smarter dog. Because a dog landing at our house is like hitting dog lotto. Finally, a dog luckier than our dogs. Going from stray to team mascot is impressive.

Good for Hank!!

• mgflolox - Mar 7, 2014 at 1:38 PM

That’s exactly what I always say about our dogs. Funny thing, I have never actively sought to acquire a dog, but when the time is right, they always seem to find me.

• Old Gator - Mar 7, 2014 at 3:42 PM

• bigharold - Mar 7, 2014 at 10:17 PM

OG you are really dating yourself with that song. Not merely because you know of the song but because you apparently know there is a YouTube link.

7. favrewillplay4ever - Mar 7, 2014 at 10:21 AM

My wife has this infatuation with visiting our local Humane Society and insists on bringing critters home. That’s where our cat and dog both came from.

I give in and let her go. Made a new rule, though. I’m fine with her bringing a new dog home of she gets rid of our dog. I’m also fine if she brings a new cat home as long as she gets rid of our dog.

8. shawndc04 - Mar 7, 2014 at 10:43 AM

Got a rescue red tick coonhound who regularly walks me every morning. Good exercise.

9. braunisaliar - Mar 7, 2014 at 11:00 AM

Look at the writer of this trying to make it about Braun. Get over your hero dude. He lied, cheated, and cost an innocent man his job. If Bud Selig wasnt crooked, Braun would have been suspended for part of this year. Instead he got suspended when the Brewers were already out of it. Wow shocker there!

• Pat Richardson - Mar 7, 2014 at 11:23 AM

I certainly appreciate braunisaliar’s unbiased perspective on the Ryan Braun proceedings.

• goofy1two - Mar 7, 2014 at 11:32 AM

I’m not a Braun fan for what he did- but please have your facts straight. NO ONE lost their job. The specimen collector (Dino) is still in his role and was never even suspended. In fact- several months ago he had Braun and his Fiancee to his home for dinner and to hash things out.

• conjecture101 - Mar 7, 2014 at 11:34 AM

Yeah, great PR move by Braun. The fact that you know about it proves it was worth it. Serenity now, Insanity later.

10. barrypiatoff - Mar 7, 2014 at 2:47 PM

Reblogged this on The Second Time Around.

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto