Mar 7, 2014, 2:00 PM EST
Hochevar, the 30-year-old former No. 1 overall pick, felt a twinge in his elbow on Monday. On Tuesday, he felt soreness in the joint, and an MRI revealed his condition, which also includes strained muscles around the elbow. On Thursday, he was scheduled to meet with Neal ElAttrache, the Dodgers’ team physician, in Los Angeles.
That meeting happened and Ned Yost announced this morning that Hochevar will have Tommy John surgery. Given that Hochevar is eligible for free agency this fall, it’s quite possible he’s pitched for the Royals for the last time.
Hochevar was a disappointment as a starter for years, but last season he moved to the pen and tossed 70 innings with a 1.92 ERA and 82/17 K/BB ratio. If he had repeated that this year he had a big payday in his future.
As it is, someone will likely take a chance on him, as he will likely pitch most of 2015. And given that, as we’ve reflected upon so much for the past 24 hours, a torn ligament is no longer a death sentence for a pitcher.
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 148
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 67
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (149)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (132)