Mar 7, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
Hochevar, the 30-year-old former No. 1 overall pick, felt a twinge in his elbow on Monday. On Tuesday, he felt soreness in the joint, and an MRI revealed his condition, which also includes strained muscles around the elbow. On Thursday, he was scheduled to meet with Neal ElAttrache, the Dodgers’ team physician, in Los Angeles.
That meeting happened and Ned Yost announced this morning that Hochevar will have Tommy John surgery. Given that Hochevar is eligible for free agency this fall, it’s quite possible he’s pitched for the Royals for the last time.
Hochevar was a disappointment as a starter for years, but last season he moved to the pen and tossed 70 innings with a 1.92 ERA and 82/17 K/BB ratio. If he had repeated that this year he had a big payday in his future.
As it is, someone will likely take a chance on him, as he will likely pitch most of 2015. And given that, as we’ve reflected upon so much for the past 24 hours, a torn ligament is no longer a death sentence for a pitcher.
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 20
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 15
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 76
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 52
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (280)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (76)