“Super Manny” Ramirez still thinks he can play

Mar 7, 2014, 9:59 AM EDT

BASEBALL-TPE-US-RAMIREZ Getty Images

A friend of mine once said that this profession is filled to the brim with unrealistic mother[expletives]. Mother[expletives] who thought their [expletive] would age like wine. If you mean it turns to vinegar, it does. If you mean it gets better with age, it don’t.

Exhibit A, Manny Ramirez, who said this to Enrique Rojas of ESPN Deportes:

“My qualities are still there and I just need an opportunity to continue showing that the ‘Super Manny’ can help a team,” Ramirez said Thursday on “Grandes en los Deportes” on ESPN Radio 104.5 FM in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic.

“For now, I have no team interested, but I’m still working. Maybe I don’t have anything this week, but who knows? Maybe next week I could get a call,” Ramirez said from his training headquarters, which he shares with Miguel Tejada.

I think it’s more likely that Manny and Miguel Tejada get a TV series in which they travel the country fighting crime as vigilantes than it is that they get big league jobs, frankly.

Seriously, though, his premise is flawed. He’s had multiple chances to show that “his qualities are still there,” and he’s shown nothing. The A’s and Rangers gave him looks in Triple-A. He had a .697 OPS in 69 plate appearances in Sacramento in 2012 and a .698 OPS in 119 plate appearances for Round Rock in 2013.

Take the money and throw the fight, punchy. It’s over.

1. pastabelly - Mar 7, 2014 at 10:03 AM

Manny being Manny.

2. jimmyt - Mar 7, 2014 at 10:06 AM

Proof that PEDs destroy your brain.

• karlkolchak - Mar 7, 2014 at 10:30 AM

“The clear’s a helluva drug…”

3. nymets4ever - Mar 7, 2014 at 10:09 AM

I’m anti-PED, but even so, I’d love for Manny to come back and have a nice year, and to prove that some pasty white four-eyed blogger can’t dictate what Manny Ramirez can and cannot do.

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Mar 7, 2014 at 11:05 AM

The bloggers are merely pointing out what Manny can and can’t do. That is different than dictating.

FWIW, he would probably be the 4th best hitter on the Mets this year with his numbers, and the second-worst defensive LF, but even they are not biting here.

• zzalapski - Mar 7, 2014 at 11:12 AM

He’s better at gratuitous playground name-calling than he is at reading comprehension.

• karlkolchak - Mar 7, 2014 at 11:40 AM

Idunno…seems to me like Craig has a pretty good gig. Jealous much?

4. chill1184 - Mar 7, 2014 at 10:12 AM

Can’t blame a guy for trying multiple times

5. halladaysbiceps - Mar 7, 2014 at 10:16 AM

Manny Ramirez, 42 years old in May, $206,827,769 in career earnings…

• karlkolchak - Mar 7, 2014 at 10:32 AM

And probably has about $1.98 of that left in his checking account.

• zzalapski - Mar 7, 2014 at 11:08 AM

Just because Manny has a flighty persona on the field, that doesn’t necessarily mean it carries over to his finances.

Maybe he’s good with his money, maybe he isn’t. We don’t know. At least, googling “Manny Ramirez financial troubles” doesn’t turn up anything substantial.

Maybe he’s like Rickey Henderson in that he’ll play anywhere until no one gives him a uniform.

6. bigtunany - Mar 7, 2014 at 10:33 AM

Do you feel that sting, big boy?

7. doctornature - Mar 7, 2014 at 10:33 AM

Jesus,another story about this idiot???

Ain’t No Grave can hold this clown. (Sorry, just watched Blackthorn)

8. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Mar 7, 2014 at 11:08 AM

Really, with guys like Manny and Canseco, what else can they do? Nobody wants to be associated with him with the PEDs and domestic violence charges as part of his public persona. He does not strike me as a coaching type. I don’t know what his level of education is, but my guess is the athletic programs at his school made sure he was passed whether he did the work or not.

So once baseball ends, what is he going to do?

9. jwbiii - Mar 7, 2014 at 11:10 AM

I don’t think he needs the money; he lived a very modest lifestyle. I think he just likes to play baseball.

10. dlhouse18 - Mar 7, 2014 at 11:28 AM

I was hoping that his would finally be the year that this story doesn’t come out again like it has for the past 3 seasons. Thanks for this irrelevant update, Craig.

11. ez4u2sa - Mar 7, 2014 at 12:23 PM

He may not be any good any more but you have to admit this simple minded fool is fun to watch.

12. bobwsc - Mar 7, 2014 at 12:24 PM

reminds me of Ricky Henderson’s hall of fame speech when he put word out that he could still swipe bags for any team in need. sometimes they can’t let it go.

13. Jeremy T - Mar 7, 2014 at 4:49 PM

Hey Craig, does your friend look like a [expletive]? Because I heard someone was trying to treat him like one.

• Jeremy T - Mar 7, 2014 at 4:52 PM

Er… trying to [expletive] him like one, that is.

14. disgracedfury - Mar 7, 2014 at 5:55 PM

Another dumb World Series MVP PED user.Just like Ortiz.

15. abigbuck99 - Mar 7, 2014 at 9:49 PM

It was fun watching Manny for the first time as a young player.
    Quickest bat I ever seen. I thought no wonder he was the Indians #1 pick.
    He wouldn’t say two words back then. He had no taking skills.
    Now he is a salesman making a pitch to anyone who will listen.

16. kjoseph2009 - Mar 8, 2014 at 10:52 AM

One of the best right hand hitters of all time, but now it is done.

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3628)